1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Approaching Parents

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by repressed, Aug 30, 2016.

1. repressed

I am non binary. My parents know that I want to dress more masculine, but when I try to approach them about me buying "mens" clothing they shut me down. My mom says that I have a year before I'm 18 and I can move out and do whatever I want and that I need to wait. I can't wait. I don't know how to get through to my parents how much I need to change my wardrobe. All this and I haven't even brought up binders and "mens" underwear. Any advice would help. Thanks.

2. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you think even when you do turn 18 they will suddenly accept your wardrobe changes?

Do you have a car? Can you not go buy your own stuff? What about online shopping?

3. repressed

I have already bought some "men's" clothing. My parents aren't okay with me presenting myself as male in public. They are okay as long as I stil look feminine in men's clothing. But I was to be able to pass. I also want to chop off my hair, which is a big no no to my parents.

4. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, you need to be prepared for the idea that they probably won't be accepting of you even after you turn 18.

If you really want to chop off your hair, you can do that. You have scissors don't you? I'm not saying you should, as your parents would probably freak.

Do you think they will ever accept you as you?