1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, Male Bathrooms...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by GayPugs, Aug 31, 2016.

1. GayPugs

So, let's start with...I'm an AFAB 13-year-old trans boy. And I think I could actually pass as a boy. Ever since I started dressing like a boy and wearing bras, nobody has called me a woman. So, I decided maybe it was time to ask my mom about using male bathrooms...and she said no. She said male bathrooms are disgusting and (getting a little graphic here) there are penises hanging out everywhere. I've never been in a male bathroom so I have no idea wether or not this is true...? What are male bathrooms like? Should I just forget the whole bathroom-thing?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never been a female washroom before, but I'm assuming the biggest difference if that guys don't talk in the washroom, or go in groups :lol:

It can be a bit gross, but I think all washrooms are. Like sometimes there's urine on the floor all around the urinals :/

I've yet to see "penises hanging out everywhere". I don't even know what to say to that comment aha

#2 HM03, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  3. GayPugs

If people aren't talking then I must go in a male bathroom. I hate when two old hags are in the stalls next to me talking about how Darcy and Dale broke up and Darcy is now dating Ken but he's secretly having an affair with Alice.

4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Having been in both, I would say the grossness is about equal, or even worse in the women's bathroom.

As for the ''dicks hanging out everywhere'', that's bullshit. First, that's only on the urinals, and second, guys don't actually want people to look, so yeah, they won't bring attention to it.

For real, using male bathrooms is not a big deal. On top of that, if you already pass as a male, the girls can actually think you're in the wrong bathroom and make a fuss (believe me, I got the security called on me at school, but they knew it was me, so they didn't do anything).

5. faustian1

Your mother is lying, but it is a little white lie. In quite a few years, I've completed quite the informal poll of women on this subject, and a sizable majority of them say that women are even bigger slobs than men, in the restroom.

I'm sure there are penises hanging out everywhere, but most of the owners are scared shitless that if they wiggle them one time too many there'll be a cop there to haul them away. For some reason, there are a lot of cop closet cases that like the mens restrooms...:lol:

Anyway, if you can pass why not go in there and find out for yourself? If your mom was running things, nobody would have ever climbed Mount Everest. :rolle:

6. killswitch0029

I agree with everyone about the penis issue, I've yet to see any guys letting their's hang out. They are pretty nasty though, men can be filthy creatures, especially when it comes to public restrooms.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Men's restrooms can be a little gross, but they aren't bad or awful. Honestly the worst ones are at bus stations, but that's really it. Nobody's going to hassle you or give you problems if you ask me.

I agree with faustian about guys being worried about someone looking at them. To me, there's a general "no homo" type of vibe in most environments--so nobody's going to be following you to a stall or trying to get a peak at your junk. You should be fine. I've never once gone up to a urinal, and I haven't had any issues or weird guys questioning me. The only people who have looked at me are kids, but I say it's kids being well...kids.

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've heard different things from different people. The biggest surprise to me was when I used a women's restroom at my mother's job, and saw a friggin' couch in it! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Otherwise, I think we can all agree that restrooms in general are a bit icky.

Malt restroom etiquette: don't stand next to someone (if you can help it), don't stare, do your business and be gone as quick as possible. Hell, I've seen women coming out, so you should be fine. We're not in grade school where crowds would gather for fights, or whatever.

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience, penises are not hanging out everywhere. Penises are hanging out directly towards the urinals or toilets for the purposes of having a pee and that's it. You will only see another guys todger if you stare. Your mother isn't confusing the bathroom with a changing/showering room is she?

Some gent's toilets are a bit rank, but just do what you have to do and leave. While you are in there follow the etiquette that gravechild posted above.

10. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like your mum is making excuses to stop you from going in to male bathrooms... probably because she has some sort of fear of you going in to one.

11. faustian1

Come to think of it, this would be a "fringe benefit" of being male-to-female transgender... You can, in some cases, upgrade from the male-preferred term, "shitter," and graduate to "lounge," and in many cases in the US, you'll get a couch to relieve your fatigue. What's not to like?

To elaborate on the etiquette a little bit, what gravechild referred to "standing next to someone" is part of an elaborate, boundary-enhancing male ritual of making sure nobody "thinks we're gay." :eek: It's really quite amusing. There are some written versions of this etiquette. Heres a convenient on-line quiz that I think you'll enjoy: The Urinal Game | Games And another: http://mancave.cbslocal.com/2015/04/17/public-washroom-etiquette/

I'll bet mom didn't tell you about this! Once you've mastered this subtle feature of male social psychology, you'll fit right in!

#11 faustian1, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  12. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Obviously there are urinals so people get their dicks out. You just don't look. Walk in, find the stalls, do your business, make a beeline for the sinks, wash hands, get out. End of. No one questions you just don't make eye contact with anyone and do your thing. It's stressful the first couple times but after you get used to the process and realise that no one's going to call you out it gets easier.

13. GayPugs

Well, that sounds easy. I already avoid eye-contact like the black plague when I'm not even in a restroom. I guess the only problem is convincing my mom to let me use a male restroom...she always comes with me in the restroom and she already said no to using a guy's restroom so... (and I'm barely ever out without her, I'm homeschooled.) Although, I bet my dad would let me use a guy's restroom!

14. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Penises are not hanging out all willy nilly. In fact most guys go to great lengths to keep those parts private....

And coming from someone who's had to clean both, women's restrooms are WAAAAAAAAY more disgusting than men's. Trust me on that.

15. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate public bathrooms and have heard both sides of being just nasty. My experiences in America in a guys room....No conversation and guys will lean and almost fall into a urinal to pee because someone might see a penis. The ones that have the biggest fear are usually the ones that pee all over the seat you get to wipe off with a mountain of toilet paper because you need to sit down

16. iiimee

Listen, I've been in both: I tend to avoid bathrooms at school though, despite me being allowed to use whatever one I want... :/ Anyway, your mom's comment, no matter how clever it might have been in her mind, is completely ignorant. Now, I'll admit: the smell of pee is a little more prominent in the men's room. XD But seriously, it's not like there are puddles of urine on the ground... unless you go to a men's restroom in any vacation spot, but that's a different story... X_X Still, go to a movie theatre, a school, a store, wherever, and the men's restrooms usually won't be that much worse than the women's. Actually, I'd argue that the sinks in the men's bathrooms are MUCH cleaner, probably because the women's sinks are covered in paper towel and smeared remains of foundation and lipstick. >_< Anyway, I don't think going in there is a big deal- just explain that to your mom and hopefully she will begin to listen over time.

17. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The bathroom's cleanliness is really dependent on the business, not the gender. Dudes can make a mess, but women are just as bad. And in many cases be worse, I remember several family road trips where my mom and sister wouldn't use the women's restroom it was so filthy. The men's room was actually cleaner.

Since you won't be using the urinal, just head to the stall and go.

18. Mental

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Maybe I'm not the right person to ask, but I've been in female bathrooms a few times. I've been in male bathrooms quite a lot. The difference is definetly there. The male bathrooms are often a bit messier. When I mean a bit, I mean alot. Especialy the toilets. The urinals too though.

---------- Post added 1st Sep 2016 at 10:51 PM ----------

By the way, if you're thinking of going into mens locker rooms at pools and such where there are open showers, don't. You will see so much old man dick that it just stops being funny.

#18 Mental, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  19. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel I should add, never use your hand to exit the restroom if you can help it. far too many guys skip washing their hands.
    Use a foot, paper towel, or the bottom of a shirt.

Also most urinals I've seen have deviders between them for some very BASIC privacy. some have bigger deviders however.

20. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just saying, the male bathrooms are the grossing, most disgusting place I've ever been.
    ^ as you said... I was really shocked seeing people do this *BLEH*

xD however symbolically it's not that bad as long as it's a clean bathroom.