1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeans shopping? (Slightly dumb question alert)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Pistachio, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going back to school clothes shopping pretty soon, but I'm still too nervous to ask my mom to let me shop in the guys section.. So I might end up having to shop in women's for jeans. I'm hoping to get some that make my curves less obvious (I have hips that are less than shoulder width but my thighs are pretty big). It's a shot in the dark, but does anyone have recommendations as to a style (or fit.. or whatever..) of women's jeans that will do better at that than what I've got (some skinny jeans and one slightly more relaxed pair that still tapers down at the ankles)? And also recommendations for some guys jeans that are good for ftms if I can get my crap together and convince my mom to let me try on some?
    Sorry, this is kind of a silly question.. Oh well.. :astonished:

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Give your mom some credit. She helped you get a binder, why wouldn't she let you get men's jeans? Go to the men's section.

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say straight fit womens jeans would be your best bet but even so they're won't be completely like mens. Could you not just ask for some money and say you're going shopping with a friend (or actually go with a friend) and get then then? I've found that guys stretch skinny jeans are the only ones that fit me right because they look like slim jeans on me and don't stick in any places. It's different for different brands though so your best bet is to go and try them on.

4. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I don't know precisely what to look for, it's only a feeling. Not slim, and wide at the hips sp you can wear them lower and let your boxershorts stick out. I've got a pair like this, also wide at the legs and if I didn't know I would swear these are mens.

5. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's more that I'm nervous to ask than that I'm nervous for her answer if that makes sense.. I know that sounds ridiculous. I won't make any promises but I'll try. Thanks for the push haha

---------- Post added 2nd Sep 2016 at 09:22 AM ----------

My grandma might be coming too and I can't gauge what her reaction would be, so that adds to it. Mostly I'm just afraid to let my mom down somehow by transitioning. I already feel like her problem kid and this just adds to it.

6. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Plenty of "tomboys" shop in the men's section too! Maybe you should talk to your mom in advance and tell her you intend to get things from the men's section and ask if she thinks that will be a problem with your gma around. You're the one who will have to wear these clothes all year so you need to do what you have to to be comfortable.

If you really feel the need to get women's (which you shouldn't if you'd be more comfortable in men's), just avoid weird adornments (fancy washes, studs, swirls, etc) and anything tight and low riding.

Another thing, where are you going to shop? If you go to thrift stores, the men's and women's clothes aren't usually obviously separated into departments so you could more subtly look around at the men's stuff. You could even look around the women's too for show. If you get questions just say like the androgynous look is very in right now.

7. AmyBee

Yeah, lots of women shop in the men's section. There are even "boyfriend" jeans cut more like a guy's at Old Navy. So to me, those two things add up to the men's jeans section being open to everyone, and especially to guys who are AFAB.

8. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Alright, thank you guys

9. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Boyfriend jeans or a size larger in straight leg low waist with belt.
    When I was in college my friend used to shop guys gap and Levi's. She looked feminine sexy in them while wearing a fitted top/bodysuit. I then bought same jeans and they felt and looked awesome.
    But that's off the topic since buying men's jeans in our case was to look more feminine.
    Anyway, try on many pairs. I would suggest department store where you can grab a bunch to try on.