1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender and Mood

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LaurenSkye, Sep 3, 2016.

1. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I there a connection between your gender and your mood? Does you mood affect what gender you feel like or vice-versa?

Personally, I find a correlation between being happy and being feminine. When I'm happier, I feel more feminine, and when I express myself more feminine, I feel happier. I don't necessarily feel sad when I am appear more masculine, I just kinda feel like something's missing. And when I do feel sad or depressed I don't feel very feminine or masculine, I just kinda feel empty and gender-less.

2. August Silver

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I'm depressed or devastated by loss I feel like a thing, not really like a person at all, of any gender. When in love or aroused my feminine and masculine aspects alternate quite chaotically... If I'm excited, or especially when I find something painfully cute, the pitch of my voice rises and I seem and act more feminine I guess, which I hate. Basically the more masculine I appear the higher my mood and the higher my mood the more feminine I sound which kills the mood... I really need that T.

3. AmyBee

For me, not really. I'm a real rollercoaster of emotional content anyway so it would be impossible for gender to catch up. If I'm down, I feel female. If I'm up, I feel female. The only time it really seems more extreme is if I'm really excited and happy about a particular topic or thing and then like the poster above, my voice pitches way up and I probably tend to drop a lot of male performance stuff I've adopted as protective coloring. I'm too excited to bother. I think I've probably shocked more than a few people. I remember one time specifically seeing everyone's eyes go really wide when they encountered this side of me they'd never really experienced before. I can definitely see it as being read as more feminine. A friend of mine and I call it "squee" or sometimes "going all squirrel-girl."

#3 AmyBee, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  4. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In a way, yes. I actually become aroused (sometimes) when I act feminine. I'm cisgender female, and I'm happy about that. When I act like a tomboy, I do not feel at all aroused. When I act that way, it's usually when I'm playing/watching sports or angry. XD

I tend to get angry when someone mistreats my friends and family. I'll say things like, "I'll kick their ass!" But I'm usually a very passive person. "Even the nicest people can be assholes once they've had enough." :wink:

#4 Anthemic, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  5. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely! Especially since my gender fluidity is super connected to a mental illness I have. I tend to feel less gendered when my emotions are more neutral, and more masculine when I'm more sad.

6. August Silver

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    SQUEE is the best word for it :grin: The male version is more like cute giggling but the female version can almost be like a scream. And it's so embarrassing! But I can't help it when I see a kitten or something. I don't feel girly but sure sound it. But I understand that having the strong emotion that causes the squeeing is generally seen as a more feminine trait.

7. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought I was genderfluid for a while, but I realized how I felt when I was a "girl" was disconnected from myself. Now I feel more masculine all the time, to what extent varies, but there's not really any correlation to my mood.

8. slickrick

slickrick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh god, I feel so good and more relaxed when I got masculine swag. Coyness and girlishness makes me feel weak and vulnerable and I don't like it.

Except in other girls, in which case it makes me horny

#8 slickrick, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  9. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm more likely to feel strongly dysphoric when I'm already in a bad mood, but other than that, no. My gender doesn't change; just the amount of dysphoria I have changes.

10. AmyBee

It really can be embarrassing. It's something I have to really hold in check. My partner is more low key and doesn't do it at all but I'm super enthusiastic about almost ANYTHING and that triggers it a lot. But my partner will squee when she sees a dog!

11. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh dear, I squee when I'm female, too! :lol: Not quite a scream but like an overly-excited child.

12. AmyBee

Haha! I want to squee more, it's just there's so much resistance to it around here!

13. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't understand how someone's gender can change depending on their mood. It just doesn't make sense :/ I am always male, just sometimes Im more masculine or sometimes more feminine. It makes no differences what my gender is because gender is wired into your brain so how can it change? But I guess some other people have a different take on what gender is :/

14. August Silver

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I answered this thinking of my masculine and feminine traits and how and when they manifest themselves in relation to mood. My "default state" is clearly masculine but sometimes my feminity surfaces. I guess everyone has both aspects but one usually dominates? Why some fluctuate so much I have no idea but I'll respect their experience. The brain does have plasticity and we don't fully understand it yet.

This :thumbsup:

15. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree

16. AmyBee

Well, like I said, no matter my mood I'm always feel female. Always a woman. If I'm in an angry, aggressive mood (anger happens a lot, aggression very rarely), it's as an angry, aggressive woman. But I do believe others feel gender in different ways. I think that's fascinating and I love hearing their take.

17. Eris

Eris Guest

im still figuring this one out.

but when im upset, i tend to relate more to a depressed guy. i think its a way to express my anguish?

when im happier, i dont think about my gender at all. normally im just being myself, not giving a crap of how i express myself (although it does defy social norms of a female as i dont present myself in a feminine way)

18. SystemGlitch

I've never felt any sort of gender shifting. My gender expression is related to my mood, but it's only in terms of "when my body shape shows too heavily or my expression is too feminine (making me get read as female) it makes me upset or frustrated" - so, rather than my mood affecting my expression it's the expression affecting my mood. My gender itself has never really changed. I find it interesting that other people experience a mood and gender link though.