1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wanting some of the changes T brings but not all

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by rainbowsun, Sep 5, 2016.

1. rainbowsun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So basically I'd like some/most of the changes going on T would get me, but not all, mainly I don't think I want a beard (I don't find beards attractive/good-looking most of the time.
    Just wondering whether there were other trans people out there having similar feelings about HRT?

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well that's a pretty easy one to sort out. Just keep clean shaven, shaving doesn't take long either so you should be good just takes a bit of effort to maintain. The only thing that I'm uncertain about is hair loss or thinning since my dad has extremely thin hair. Also not looking forward to the increased libido, that doesn't sound fun. But pretty much everything else I can't wait for.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Give me all of it. Bring it on, testosterone.

But in all seriousness, like Zac said, I don't fancy a higher libido. That and probably acne seems the only things I wouldn't enjoy. More hair and muscle will be appreciated though.

4. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a lot of effects of T that are permanent (facial shape change, voice, etc.) and some things that go away after time if you stop taking T (Hair growth, fat distribution, etc.) So theoretically if you wanted a deeper voice and more masculine face shape, but didn't want a beard or lots of leg hair, then you could take T until you're happy with certain things, then stop and most of the effects of the other stuff would go away. I've been on and off of T for 2 years and it's pretty alright. You can't really determine how much of an effect some things will have or how fast stuff will happen though which kinda sucks

(Edit: And Kodo, the higher libido thing REALLY depends on the person. Most people I know didn't have any change in libido, including myself. Also the acne kinda depends on your genetics, if you're not the kind of person who ever had acne you probably won't have any on T, or at least not too bad.)

#4 Ghostling, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When it comes to T, there really is not a way to pick and choose the effects that it has on you. You can go on it for a shorter amount of time, but still that would probably have effects that you would not like. It something that you will really have to think about, because really no matter what you do (low dose, start stop ect.) It will still have the effects on your body that it wants to have. You just have to decide if that is something that you can live with, or if maybe T is not the right thing for you.

6. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You certainly can't pick and choose so if any of the changes are going to bother you that much, T is probably not a good idea.

However, I think it is natural to be more excited about certain changes than others. There are certainly perks that come along with being female bodied, e.g. smelling better, less greasy skin, no balding, etc.

Like you, I am not super thrilled about the beard growth and I'm not sure it will suit me, but I'm coming to find that I would like the option. And if I/you don't like it, we can easily shave, just like most cis guys do. I also had the fear that facial hair just wouldn't look good on my face, but I figure now that once my face has become more masculine on T it will make more sense.

Definitely not excited for acne. I didn't have it as a teenager so I've never really experienced it. Hopefully since I never got it before I am less prone to it now. But anyway, just like in puberty it will go away eventually.

I'm already really hairy so I'm kinda worried I will be uncontrollably so after T, but there is always hair removal.

I don't particularly want to start smelling bad. I don't really get BO now so I don't even have to shower everyday. I can say goodbye to that!

At the beginning I was kind of apprehensive about bottom growth because my fiancee is lesbian identifying and she might think it's weird, plus it sounds really uncomfortable to have your bits rubbing against your clothes all day. Now I'm kind of excited for it though and I think it stops being painful after a while.

I'm definitely concerned about going bald, but as long as I keep most of my hair until I'm at least in my late thirties, I think I can deal with that. I'm actually excited for my hairline to recede a little bit.

Everything else I'm pretty stoked for, but even the stuff that concerned me at first is better than staying the way I am now and I will learn to accept all of that.

#6 Rickystarr, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  7. flatlander48

As was stated, shaving is one alternative. The other is hair removal by electrolysis.

DeeAnn

8. iiimee

I think you just need to figure out if you are okay with all of the changes testosterone gives you. If not, you are probably better without.

:/ Personally, I want or am at least willing to go through all the changes. XD I don't fancy my acne flaring up again since it's already pretty bad, nor do I fancy losing my hair or being at risk for weaker bones or liver failure, but I am willing to take all those risks if it means I can gain the muscle I want and in general I can just feel more like a man...

9. rainbowsun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for every answer! I think I'll wait and see how things develop, I certainly won't start T rn, (wasn't planning to before but I just felt like I was almost alone in not wanting some of the changes so seeing that I'm not completely was very reassuring.)
    Hair loss really isn't appealing either (especially since my dad's lost rather a bit) but the rest seems rather appealing.

10. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Yeah, hair loss is a problem in all males in my family. But as I age I might deal with it. Also, I want basically everything but hair on my chest. I will probably shave that off if I get some. But I will see once I get on T. And dealing with acne without having makeup will be horrible for me. Probably I'll just hide until it goes away.