1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nonbinary or just tomboyish?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by flavor, Sep 5, 2016.

1. flavor

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm quite new to the gender identity scene, and I don't know what's important or not to note, so please bear with me. I don't even know if "nonbinary" was the right word for the title.

A week or so ago, I started questioning whether I have a strong connection to femininity. My gender was never really something I thought about, and my sexuality was always more of a pressing issue. But now that it's a bit out of the way, I've been able to think on different topics and this time it's gender.

A little background: I dress like most tomboyish girls do at my school, occasionally dressing either on the more masculine or feminine side. I also recently got a haircut, a longish pixie, which helped with my self-harm issues and lifted me out of a dark place for the time being. I'm not sure if it was the drastic change in my appearance or seeing myself looking ambiguous in the way of gender that made me happy. I found myself thinking that if I didn't have breasts, and if I dressed in the right clothes, I'd look what I perceive to be agender, and that would be quite nice. (But that didn't last for a long time.) It might also be important to point out that on some days I want to look more like a girl, on some days I want to look more like a boy, and on the rest I prefer to make people ask themselves what gender I am. I can't explain these tendencies as much more than my inner self feels more connected to no or a certain gender depending on the day. Maybe it's just mood swings.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give me. :slight_smile:

#1 flavor, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Gender expression does not equal gender identity unless a) a child thinks that they have to wear clothing/play with toys made for the opposite sex because they are of that gender b) a person of any age changes their gender expression so that society will see them for their true gender identity.

Is "wanting to look like a girl on some days" because you identify as a girl on that day, or because you just want to "look like a girl"? [and repeat for "boy"].

If, regardless of expression, you could see yourself in 10 years time - would you be a girl, boy, both or neither?

Hope this helps.

3. anthracite

anthracite Guest

If you have no dysphoria I would consider you as a confident individual who doesn't care about gender roles.