1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any trans/lgbt friendly jobs....?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Pockettail, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Pockettail

Out Status:
    A few people
    I just got fired for the way I dress... I started to get sent into the human resource office for stupid reasons that were well out of my power such as if someone asked me to take out the trash to the dumpster and I came in smelling like the bag I took out, it's an automatic write up....and honestly I feel shitty over this.. because after I got fired people are coming forwards that I was bullied out of the office because I bind, act masculine, and look more like a guy than a girl. And now I'm terrified to get another job because what if they bully me out of there too? I of course need a job to survive but why is this so hard....

2. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sounds illegal to me. Check the laws where you live. If you have a copy (you should) of your contract, take a look at it to see if they had legal grounds to write you up/fire you (i.e.: dress code violations).

There are a lot of lgbtqia friendly companies, just google it. What it really is, though, is the management. Try 'younger' places, that might help (i.e. LUSH, Hot Topic, etc.).

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lush is definitely lgbt-friendly and they also pay well. It's a good place to work.

#3 baconpox, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  4. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try Target, they are very LGBT friendly. That's where I work, along with another trans. We had a third, but he got relocated a few months ago.

5. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately the US doesn't have anti-discrimination policies for lgbt individuals on a federal level. Because of this an employer can fire you or a landlord can kick you out because you are lgbt. More liberal states have lgbt protection laws, but at least half don't. You need to look for company policies that are pro-lgbt.

6. anthracite

anthracite Guest

You need to know your priorities. Is it having a job, or is it to be an individual? At my job I got the clothes of a girl and I'm all around women. I wouldn't dare to ask for a male uniform, I have no second job I could rely on. If you choose individuality, your career will suffer. But this is entirely your choice.

7. Pockettail

Out Status:
    A few people
    Unfortunately the law doesn't protect me from getting fired for being lgbt by state law, my dad is an attorney though so at the very least I can fight for unemployment on the grounds of discrimination.

---------- Post added 8th Sep 2016 at 04:55 AM ----------

:> I'll try applying to those places then!

I never would of thought of this one but luckily there's one not too far away I can apply to. Thank you!

---------- Post added 8th Sep 2016 at 04:58 AM ----------

> ^ > yeah I suppose that's true, I thought the folks at my previous job were okay with me but it looks like 2 people had a problem with me then suddenly I got bullied out of my job. I think I can afford individuality though, my family is alright financially. If anything it's just me saving up so I can live on my own.

8. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but you and a bunch of friendly colleagues can't fight off two assholes? You need to learn a lot about dirt-campaigns bro ^^ Just learn that and you can take on any idiot who dares to challenge you. I've got a crazy one at my job too, seriously this women is borderline or something. Good thing at them is, you're gonna play the victim, your colleagues will see it and find it unjust, so they do all the dirty work for you.