1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can We Do A Little Testosterone Q And A?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by GayPugs, Sep 8, 2016.

1. GayPugs

So, I'm really nervous about T. Having finally accepted myself as a full-on trans boy now, I feel like I want to do T, I want to start growing facial hair and having a more male body, but I just don't know. I don't want to read too much online because there can be some false information online and I'm just all-around afraid that I'll get too overwhelmed and freaked-out. I don't want to talk to my mom, either, cuz I think it'll freak her out.

So, my questions are:

What exactly does T really do?

What are the downsides?

What are the upsides?

Is there a reason why I might NOT want to do T?

Is there anything else I should know before doing T?

And...of course...are there any reliable sources that I can give to my mom to look at if I do decide to do T?

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hudson's FTM Guide is a great resource.

Testosterone redistributes fat (it migrates to your stomach), increases musculature, ceases menstruation, enlarges the clitoris, increases libido, changes your smell and the smell of your urine, increased perspiration, increases body hair (everywhere), thickens vocal chords which results in a lower voice and prominent Adam's apple, can make genitals more wet or dry, gives more masculine facial shape, increases appetite & metabolism, increases energy, if your growth plates aren't sealed it can make your hands bigger and make you taller (this is unlikely).

Downsides are subjective, but it does raise your red blood cell count, which can make you more likely to get certain diseases. There's some dissent over if it can raise risk of uterine/ovarian diseases, but there's really no solid proof that it does.

You should also know that it can potentially make you infertile, but IS NOT a contraceptive. You can easily get pregnant on T, and if you do, you'll need to go off T and that you're baby is more likely to have birth defects. Also everything except libido, fat distribution, and periods are irreversible.

If you need me to elaborate on anything or have any more specific questions, I'm willing. Also feel free to message me anytime if you want to talk about it more. :grin:

#2 baconpox, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  3. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might could search for informed consent forms from trans friendly clinics, they are going to have a list of what t will and won't do, and what effects are reversible or irreversible. Also Hudson's guide. The link for that is in the sticky threads.