1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysphoria and Spoon Theory

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Lightsaberpearl, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Lightsaberpearl

Out Status:
    Some people
    As someone who experiences gender dysphoria (mostly social- some psychical) and uses the spoon theory (link here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon_theory ) I've noticed that when I'm feeling dysphoric or more dysphoric than usual my spoons "deplete" faster. Does anyone else experience this and/or have any coping strategies for this? Thanks! :slight_smile:

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd never heard of the spoon theory prior to now. Intriguing.

The main thing is to ration your energy levels (or should I say "spoons") so as to not be exhausted. And make sure to rest when necessary. Personally, my last few weeks have been really bad. So I found a way to adjust and conserve my spoons. For example, I intersperse productive with rest periods. If I just did some chores or working out, I watch anime for an hour after. Then I can set to doing music practice or going for an errand/social call.

Just don't do too much of either rest or work. Work too much and you crash. Rest too much and you build bad habits. Yesterday was an unusual day for me and I was working non-stop for 8 hours (yeah I'd suck at a day job) in a stressful and very social setting. When I got home, all spoons were obliterated and I crashed. I ended up watching TV for like 4 hours and stress eating junk food to compensate. This was because I didn't do my usual pattern of work - rest - work - rest.

Bottom line, if you are dealing with dysphoria and feel drained, take a breather by doing something which counters the effects of dysphoria. Do the opposite. What makes you feel confident in your gender? Talk to people who support you. Do body positive activities (clothes, physical activity, grooming, etc.).

If worse comes to worse, distract yourself until you're recharged. Yoga or video games are great.