1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testosterone Questions

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Lightsaberpearl, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Lightsaberpearl

Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm seriously considering starting t, and despite the research I've done in still feeling rather anxious because I've gotten some contradicting answers. So here's my bombardment of questions:

1) How exactly do I get on t? I'm 14 and not an emancipated minor so I'll need parental consent. The articles I read were geared towards people 18 and up and I couldn't find much on how to start t as a minor.

2) If I start to experience male pattern baldness and go off of t, will my hair continue to fall out? I know hair that you've lost won't grow back but will it continue to fall out?

3) I read that if you stop t you'll continue to get facial and body hair. Will it slow down at all or will it continue to grow at the rate it did?

4) I haven't gotten any acne at all with my afab puberty (at least so far but I'm almost 15 so idk if I'm going to get any). What's my likelihood of getting acne on t?

5) I want to take a low dose of t, mainly for anxiety and gender identity reasons. I've read that low dose t brings the same changes as a regular dosage, but slower. Has anyone gone on a low dose and are they willing to share their experiences?

6) What's stopping and starting t like? Is it bad for you (as in let's say I started t, had to stop for whatever reason, and then started again)

7) Will my existing fat redistribute, or will only new fat deposits end up in a more masculine way?

8) How often will I have to shave my facial hair for it to not be very visible I don't want a beard/mustache?

9) How often do you need blood tests when starting t and when you're on t?

10) if I go on a low dose will it impact my periods at all?

11) What's my likelihood of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer? I've heard those are all potential risks t bring and how can I prevent them from happening?

12) On a low dose, what'll my voice be like? Will it be cracky and weird for longer?

13) If you're willing to share anything else that you've learned from going on t, especially if you've stopped and started t or gone on a low dose (or both) it would be great if you added that in your answer

Thank you and I'm sorry about the length :slight_smile:

2. iiimee

Hey, it's great you're looking at this now! I mean, testosterone isn't for everyone, but I think that, if you suspect that's what you need to do, then looking at it before you finish growing is always better, since you'll get better results...
    1. As you said, you'll need parental consent. It depends on the state, but most places require you to go to a therapist, who will evaluate you to make sure you don't have any major mental issues, and then after that they'll eventually give you a letter of recommendation to see an endocrinologist. I don't know if it's necessary to see a children's endo, but I'd still recommend it. :/ Your therapist can also help you with other stuff btw- mine helps me with my needle phobia.

2. From what I've read, it usually lessens if you lower or get off testosterone, but a few cases may still experience hair loss even when they're off T... most of the time it'll lessen if you lower or get off T though.

3. I am not too sure actually, but I'd imagine it would slow down somewhat because the more testosterone you have, the faster hair grows in those places typically... That's why girls who treat their PCOS won't experience their hair-growth symptoms as badly as when they weren't on treatment for it...

4. The glands in your face will produce more oil, so your chance of getting acne IS increased definitely, but if you clean your face on a regular basis it shouldn't be too bad... You might not walk out of your house with perfectly clear skin all the time though. XD

5. I am not on T yet, but I can tell you that a lower dose does exactly what you said. If your dose is TOO low though, it might not bring about all the changes, like you might see some spotting or your periods will continue... If it's that low though, you probably need a higher dose.

6. It is not recommended you stop testosterone if you get a hysterectomy, since your body will stop producing enough estrogen then... It's complicated, but basically hormones keep your bones strong, so you need one or the other in you at all times... It may be uncomfortable going back and forth between estrogen and testosterone, but the health risks shouldn't be insane...

7. From what I've seen and heard, you need to lose the fat you already have for two reasons: One is that fat encourages the production of estrogen, which slows down the changes you want, and two, fat does not magically disappear... So no, your existing fat will not redistribute. You need to lose it and then let your body gain fat in its new form. XD

8. Depends on the person honestly... There's no real way to tell.

9. I'd say you will probably need a blood test every few months once you're on T... They'll need several tests from you, but luckily you probably won't need to be pricked twice, if you know anything about how blood tests work.

10. As I said, if it does, you need a higher dose.

11. Heart disease and diabetes aren't any more likely on T, though I've been told that it is THEORIZED that you might be at a higher risk of ovarian cancers and PCOS if you go on T... What I suggest you do is simply exercise a lot and eat a healthy diet. If you do that, you should be fine. Osteoporosis is more likely if you go on T apparently, though it's definitely more likely if you go on it and then go off it again. >_< It's almost guaranteed if you get a hysterectomy and also get off of T, so I really don't recommend doing that... Either stay on T or don't get a hysterectomy is my advice.

12. Probably, but eventually it should even out. :/ Some people just end up with rough voices though, so you should be prepared for that if your voice is already rough. My voice is smooth, so I doubt it'll get extremely rough once I go on T.

13. As I said, I'm not on T yet, but I recommend you look at the difference between intramuscular and subcutaneous shots to see what's best for you. Most good clinics offer both, though your endo will definitely have an opinion on which they think is better- go for what you can manage. Also, this link should give you more info on health risks and blood tests you'll need if you go on T: https://www.google.com/#q=Testosterone+blood+tests+and+health+risks+ftm

It sounds like a lot, but as I said, it really won't be that much. ^ A lot of sites will tell you about other potential health risks, but you really shouldn't worry about those since they're only theories... A lot of the ones of here are theories too, but they're at least backed up by trans men and a lot of doctors confirm these ones are potential concerns... There isn't a ton of data on what is an almost definite risk or not though... If you have any questions, feel free to ask me! As I said, I am not on T, but I know a ton about it...

3. Lightsaberpearl

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the reply! :slight_smile:

4. iiimee

Anytime. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I would have replied sooner, but I had dinner... Now I'm going to take a shower, but yeah, read over what I said and see if you have any more questions. If they're personal, you can always message me too, though this site is very non-judgmental in general, and I might not always have the answer... When it comes to what T does though and the process of getting it, I feel fairly knowledgeable.

---------- Post added 17th Sep 2016 at 08:30 PM ----------

Oh, may I ask if you're out to your family? If you aren't and really want testosterone, you might want to ask sooner rather than later, since it can take time for a family to adjust, and asking for T immediately after coming out would be awkward. XD Of course, only come out if you feel safe and are comfortable with the possibility that they might not be accepting... I knew my mom would probably be accepting, but I still cried when I told her.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A lot of these questions are better answered by a doctor. For example, heart disease really depends on your family history and genetics. I've been on T for about 2.5 years now. I started on a low dose, and then ramped myself up to the normal dosage that is given to transmen. The thing to remember about low dose is that all of the changes will still happen, they just happen slower. If there is something that you do not want to have, there is a good chance that you will have that outcome anyways. So, you really need to be prepared that you will not like all of the effects of T, since you are unable to pick and choose.

That being said, I'm not sure about the process for getting on T as a minor in your location. I know in some places both parents have to sign off for the child to be able to take T. Generally, the kid has to be at least 16. Before that, hormone blockers are given.

I've missed a shot, and let me tell you it is not a fun experience. So, I hope to not have to stop it. I just felt really sluggish and down that entire week. Your hormonal system is not really something that you want to mess with that much. Tinkering with it can lead to dangerous outcomes.

6. AaronV

I think you should take a look at Chase Ross' videos. (uppercaseCHASE1 on YouTube) He was on T for a year, went off for like 10 months and then went back on. I can't remember everything he's said on the matter, but I think he went back on T mainly because he stopped passing.

7. Lightsaberpearl

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks again for all the replies :slight_smile: