1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Answering the "why me?" question

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AnguishXx, Sep 18, 2016.

1. AnguishXx

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know this is something many people can relate to, transgender and not, but still... what to do when all you have is internet, and see no-one (or very few people) in the same situation?
    This is the time when the question, "Why me?", comes back. So, what are your answers to this, or your ways to cope?

Sometimes I'm grateful just to have reached the point I'm in... things could be much worse. I could have died in an earthquake, or in a car accident... I could be blind (sorry, I don't want to be offensive to anyone, I respect you all). Sadly, many people have to face things in their life that won't hit many others.

And then there is a second question. If you have no-one around that shares, how can you fight the stuff about making the whole thing up? Like "no-one acts like that, why should I, even if I feel so? No-one else would understand..." (that's the pessimistic mode)

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I often ask myself the same questions.

Why me? Well, I guess I was one of those 0.03% that ends up trans. It isn't the worst thing that could have happened though. My body works, I'm healthy, my mind is still working albeit with a few kinks, those are good things. And I know that when - not if - I'm on T, I'll start to feel much better about myself.

I used to think that maybe I was making all this up. Maybe I'd somehow convinced myself of a crazy delusion in which I'm male. But the facts don't add up. I struggled with puberty like no girl I'd ever known, and my mother agreed that she had never seen a case such as mine growing up. There was a distinctive line between an androgynous childhood and a sexualized entrance into adulthood that caused me to crash. Basically, if I wasn't trans, it would make no sense what all these random gender based thoughts meant.

It is statistically, highly improbable, to meet another trans person unintentionally in your life. I've only ever met one trans-woman in person. Even if you did, you might not realize they're trans unless they tell you. So it is understandable to feel alone in all this. But you aren't alone. You just have to find your people. Here at EC, at your local LGBT center, at your school or university's LGBT club.

We can ask "why me" all day long. But it takes true courage to stand up for who you are against all oppression and disbelief.

3. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I use my usual coping mechanism: I don't take it serious and say shit happens. It's just important for me to know that there is nothing I can do to change it.

Honestly I sometimes think about not transitioning at all, even if a imagine my future as a man, I sometimes wonder if this is worth on how my reputation will be negatively affected if I make a mistake in my stealth. Then I tell myself that I am super clever, I won't get caught. But realistically seen one day my life will fall apart.

4. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if I understand 100% what you mean but I will answer as I understand it.

I don't really wonder "why me?" or "Why would I be this way if no one else is?" but I do have this feeling of like I'm so normal. How could I be so strange in this way? And also, I'm like what are the chances of someone being trans? Like 1/100? It must be very unlikely that I would be like that then. It's much more likely that I am not like that than I am like that. And yet if I wasn't why do I feel this way? Why do I feel like this is my only option to be happy? If I wasn't trans I probably wouldn't want to put myself through this. This is a lot of work just to be okay with myself.

But the fact is even if something is rare it is going to happen to someone so why not you? And you probably wouldn't feel this way if it wasn't true.

5. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can relate to what you are saying. I've had the same thoughts recently. "Why me?" "Why am I trans?" There are so few of us, so it makes you wonder.

But I don't think that it is good for you to tell yourself "things could be worse". Don't minimize yourself like that.

And yeah, because there are so few of us it's easy to dismiss it as something we are making up. I'm not sure what to tell you here. It's why I don't bother telling people about it. Because they won't get it, and many won't be very accepting either.

6. AnguishXx

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you, this helped (*hug*)
    I'm going to join a LGBT group, now that I'm ready... I hope I will find accepting people. EC is a great help, but sometimes I'd need to see other people with my own eyes, near where I live.

And as to the last note, I agree... Transitioning, coming out, are all personal decisions to make. They are rights, even if we find unnecessary hating everywhere. So, even if it's rare, why should anyone tell us that we can't/ we're not?

Exactly!
    And I relate to this too, thank you for your answer :slight_smile: