1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hesitant about spending on clothes, wig(s), etc + More Stuff

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Generic Name, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Generic Name

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm at the point now where I'm self accepting enough to want to attempt to try to make myself look passable (at a distance), WITHOUT HRT*. I would need to invest in a new wig (because my current one is super-cheapo and fell apart), a makeup palette, some decent clothes, and maybe some nice earrings, but I'm very hesitant about spending the money on that sort of stuff.

I feel like that if I go ahead and buy all this stuff and put it all together into one nice outfit, I'm gonna look in the mirror and go "ew.... Literally anyone with a half a braincell will see me as a guy dressing as a girl", instead of just seeing a girl.

*HRT will slowly change my physical appearance to be closer to that of a cis-girl (if not that, at least more androgynous), but that doesn't mean it's going to make me pass, so if I can pass without HRT, it'll be even easier 1 year down the line after a small bit of cleavage has grown (along with the other changes ofc), and my hair is longer than 2 damn inches (stretched out. My hair is very afro-like)

So yeah, because of all that, I'm deathly afraid that I'll be wasting money that I could put towards something that I could otherwise use in the short term. It's like what, £20 for another cheap wig, £30-60 for the outfit in mind (dependant on brands)... However much liquid eyeliner, foundation (a small amount) and earings are... It gets expensive quickly, and when you're working not much above minimum wage, it's a tough decision

I know what you're thinking; you're probably thinking "whoa, slow down... You're rushing into this!", and you're probably right, but I just... Want to progress, y'know? I want to see what I'm actually capable of looking like, without hormones, and if I feel confident looking like a girl without them, I will book an appointment with the doctor and see if they can help me get on hormones asap, even if it means self administering, while going for very regular blood tests. The sooner I get on hormones, look like a girl, and talk like a girl, the less shitty I will feel about calling myself transgender, and being open about it. I personally don't want to see a gender therapist, which is why I'm considering self administration btw.

Sorry, this went on a complete tangent, and ended up somewhat ranty and heavily off topic. I hope these types of threads are ok :/

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had to make a similar decision regarding the purchase of a binder for myself. I'd always put such things off, feeling hesitant about "wasting" money.

But really, it isn't a waste. You deserve to feel and be beautiful. It is well worth the expense to gain that extra confidence and dip in dysphoria.

Finance being a concern, perhaps you should consider purchasing one thing at a time? Like, with this paycheck you can get a wig. The next paycheck you set aside a few pounds for that outfit. And so forth.

My advice, do whatever you can right now. Extend all the respect and care toward yourself that you do for your loved ones. Don't put things indefinitely off, but make a plan for how to deal with legitimate needs. To be confident and comfortable with yourself is good for you in the long run.

Best wishes.

3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What he said. But I'd also add that you don't HAVE to spend a lot of money on most of that stuff. The only exception would be a wig. You don't want a shitty wig. But jewelry? It doesn't have to be nice. Get fake stuff. Like a couple bucks each. Makeup? You prolly dont want the cheapest stuff you can find but just get a few pieces of important stuff like idk, mascara, concealer, whatevs. As for clothes, try out thrift stores.

I'd also like to add that you don't really have to do any of this in any particular order. You don't have to pass to start HRT. A lot of people don't even start trying to pass until they've started HRT, not that I'm saying that's the greatest idea, just saying you can do whatever makes you comfortable. But I do think it's a good idea to try things out and treat yourself!

4. anthracite

anthracite Guest

So about clothes you can work with less money. Same goes with earrings. I know you girls can spend lots of money while shopping so please try to hold back :wink: I don't know if a wig is necessary, you can also grow your hair and make it a feminine style. But don't go cheap on makeup, especially in foundation. You'll regret it later some of the products look like you had smashed a cake in your face.

Other progress you could make: Vocal training. I am not sure but if transdudes can train to lower their voice you might can train to heighten your voice. Also you could walk more feminine (if you don't do that already).

5. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In terms of clothes, buy outfits you think would work for your body type, see how they fit, and if they don't look good on you return them and try again until you find things that work for you.

6. Makoto

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're not spending the money on wigs and clothes etc, you're spending money on investing in yourself, and you're worth that :slight_smile:

#6 Makoto, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  7. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Believe me, once you wear the clothes and look at yourself in the mirror, you'll be happy. To this day, it still makes me smile. You'll make progress, we all do!

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Start now. It's not to impress others but to feel better about yourself.

9. Delta

"Rushing into this" by considering buying clothes and makeup? Hardly. That's a good place to start. :slight_smile: Passing may be hard or impossible at this early stage, but it's not like clothes have an expiration date. They'll be there, also helping make you look and feel a little more like yourself the whole time.

If you're going to live as yourself, you're going to need the things you want eventually. You'll be spending it sooner or later, so if you have that money now, why not make yourself happy and just get the stuff now?

I've had similar concerns about binders and packers etc. and I couldn't stop obsessing over it until I actually bit the bullet and bought them. Best decision ever, now I have them, I love them, and I don't keep stressing about it. It doesn't matter that I don't "pass" in terms of being worth the price, those things make me happy on their own. I think it may be similar for you. It was a lot of money, a few hundred dollars total at least, which was not very affordable. But once it was spent, the burden was off my shoulders. Once I had the things I needed, I actually worried less about money after that.

10. Generic Name

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry for responding so late, I have such a bad habit in making a thread, then forgetting about it for a day XD

That's what I'm thinking, but I always steer towards "oh I can just get it later". But you're right, I should do whatever I can right now. Thank you.

I know, which is why I'm looking at price tags in the cheapest stores haha. Problem with a wig though is you can't really style it much, so it's putting me off spending much on it, even though I should. My thought is that if I can pass without HRT, it may be easier to get on hormones faster, rather than faffing about with the NHS for a year.

Trust me, there's a huge ass temptation to spend like half my savings on completely replacing my 'male' wardrobe haha. A wig, unfortunately, is a necessity. My hair never gets longer than about 6" when stretched out, so I'll probably be wearing them for the foreseeable future. I'm not proud of my natural hair, whatsoever. When it comes to foundation though, it'll just be light enough to cover the 50,000 freckles I have.

I am doing vocal training (sorta). Every morning, I do music scales to try to push up my voice, without going into falsetto. It's working wonders for stabalising my feminine voice, but it's very hard to keep up. That'll come with practice though.

That's what I plan, but I'm just reluctant on the whole "buying" part :/

Aww thank you ^-^ And I guess you're right, it basically is personal investment

I've got a few female clothing items, and even when putting those on, it feels fantastic. I can't imagine how it'll feel once I'm looking my best c:

I suppose that's true... But I want to avoid spending an asstonne on stuff, just in case I regret it for whatever reason.

It may be hard or impossible to pass now, but I might as well try I guess. I do have money to spend, but it's going towards other things. But I guess I can dip into it just this once. Jeez, a couple hundred dollars? That's a large investment... But I suppose that as long as it's worth it, that's all that matters. Maybe I should just do it and get it out of the way, then I won't be stressing about it anymore.

Thank you everyone for your responses, and again, sorry for being slow AF xD

---------- Post added 20th Sep 2016 at 05:21 AM ----------

Empty Closets isn't liking me quoting everyone's responses, so I'll just mention your username, and my response :L

Kodo, That's what I'm thinking, but I always steer towards "oh I can just get it later". But you're right, I should do whatever I can right now. Thank you.

Rickystarr, I know, which is why I'm looking at price tags in the cheapest stores haha. Problem with a wig though is you can't really style it much, so it's putting me off spending much on it, even though I should. My thought is that if I can pass without HRT, it may be easier to get on hormones faster, rather than faffing about with the NHS for a year.

anthracite, Trust me, there's a huge ass temptation to spend like half my savings on completely replacing my 'male' wardrobe haha. A wig, unfortunately, is a necessity. My hair never gets longer than about 6" when stretched out, so I'll probably be wearing them for the foreseeable future. I'm not proud of my natural hair, whatsoever. When it comes to foundation though, it'll just be light enough to cover the 50,000 freckles I have. I am doing vocal training (sorta). Every morning, I do music scales to try to push up my voice, without going into falsetto. It's working wonders for stabalising my feminine voice, but it's very hard to keep up. That'll come with practice though.

SkyWinter, That's what I plan, but I'm just reluctant on the whole "buying" part :/

Makoto, Aww thank you ^-^ And I guess you're right, it basically is personal investment

Valkari, I've got a few female clothing items, and even when putting those on, it feels fantastic. I can't imagine how it'll feel once I'm looking my best c:

Kasey, I suppose that's true... But I want to avoid spending an asstonne on stuff, just in case I regret it for whatever reason.

Delta, It may be hard or impossible to pass now, but I might as well try I guess. I do have money to spend, but it's going towards other things. But I guess I can dip into it just this once. Jeez, a couple hundred dollars? That's a large investment... But I suppose that as long as it's worth it, that's all that matters. Maybe I should just do it and get it out of the way, then I won't be stressing about it anymore.

Thank you everyone for your responses, I wanted to reply to everyone underneath their quote, but the page just wasn't loading when I tried to submit :/

11. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm no wig expert, but some of them can be styled. Really, they tend to be kind of squished in the packaging and need styling before wearing if you dont want to look a hot mess. Real hair and high quality wigs can take heat, so flat iron or curling iron or whatever. Cheap ones melt. If it's synthetic, always check the label before applying heat.

For a costume, I recent sewed some tracks onto a beanie. They were real hair, just bubblegum pink, lol. It didnt look right on its own, so I used water and leave in conditioner and curled it on flexirods overnight. Made it look like it had a natural wave, so that was good.

Ive known a couple of people who have modified wigs, like sewing I wefts fro a donor wig to make it fuller or longer, or using clip in hair for a certain effect.

There are lots of you tube videos on wig styling, by ladies who wear them and by cosplayers and by theater people. You can learn it. Also, in addition to you tube, there is usually someone helpful at the hair store. You can always say it's for a costume if you feel embarrassed.

Oh, and be wary of ordering wigs online. They often look worse in real life than the picture. However, one of my friends found a style she wanted at the store, made sure she liked it, and then ordered it in her preferred color online using the info from the tag at the store. That worked well. Oh, which brings up another helpful thing. If you see a style you like, they may have additional colors of that style in the back. It's a little like a shoe store that way. :wink: Worth asking.

But, yeah, with a wig, you get what you pay for. Cheap wigs look cheap. Cheap, crooked wigs give off the vibe you have a drug problem.

Have you looked around to see if there are any short, natural styles that would suit you? Or, is there anything you need to help protect your hair to keep it from breaking so you can grow it out?

Good luck!

#11 Katchoo, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  12. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^_^ this (*hug*)

13. anthracite

anthracite Guest

There's a way to spent few money on clothes. First come t-shirts and stuff. With that I do already pass. I have a few androgynous trousers and bought my first male jacket yesterday. Maybe a second will follow in a month or so. Shoes could be more important for you than they were for me, I can imagine you're eager to get some high heels. Just go very basic there. I don't know how to feminize your body, maybe some booty workout could help (I'm only wild guessing here)

14. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's also important to remember, you can have shorter hair in a feminine style as well, if your natural hair isn't that long.

15. Chef

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    yes thats true, short hair or long hair doesnt matter with womens hair style. for the first year i had mine cut in a short bob cut. that way i could style it one way and it would be more girlish, but if i did it the other it would be male. as for clothing, buy some lingerie first that way your not spending a huge amount on clothing, and you will be more comfortable wearing them under male clothing if need be.