1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About the voice

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anthracite, Sep 19, 2016.

1. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I sometimes wonder how my voice will sound once I'm on T. It has always been very important for me. I hated my voice. So I decided to purposely damage it when I was 15 and it feels for me like I had my voice break like a normal guy did. It actually lowered it quite a bit. In singing it's a bit lower than normal but I can comfortably do the Sound of Silence Cover by Disturbed. So how much lower will I go? I can live with not much lower, if my singing voice would be like I was speaking without effort it would be nice. Right now I can lower it while speaking a bit so I do indeed sound like a guy. But due to my first voice drop I got the feel that I will get an extremely deep voice. Anyone experience on this or anyone that valued the voice as much as me?

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no way to tell how much T will change your voice, everybody reacts to it differently.

3. iiimee

XD I haven't damaged by voice, but through training I have purposefully made it drop at least half-a-staircase, and I have to say it sounds very much like a dude's... I never could sing soprano though, so I'm not surprised... Honestly, I wouldn't worry about how much your voice drops- with training, you can usually go back to your original voice if you want, or at least close to it... Just make sure you actually seek out a professional in that regard: Trying to make your voice high can damage it a lot more than making it low can... but yeah, there's no way to tell sadly. Honestly, I'm kind of worried since my voice is naturally as smooth as honey, and I kind of want it to stay that way, but if it gets rough... Well, so be it. XD As long as I don't sound ugly I'm fine.

4. AaronV

Honestly, there is no real way to tell how much lower your voice will get.
    Before I started T I always dreamed of having a really deep voice, which didn't really happen. I ended up having more dysphoria about my voice than I had before. After a few months in which I had done many phone calls and passed every time, I realized that there are many dudes out there who have higher voices and still sound like dudes, myself included. (Even though I'm guessing my voice isn't even that high, it's just my imagination, at least that's what other people have told me.)

5. anthracite

anthracite Guest

@iiimee: What kind of training did you use? So that's good because I'd like to keep my vocal range in singing (though extended in the lower section) and just let if affect my speaking voice. Well it's already slightly rough, a side effect of my self induced voice drop.

@Aaron: I think we generally think of our voices as higher than usual