1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local trans support centre and doubts

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AnguishXx, Sep 26, 2016.

1. AnguishXx

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to seek help from a local trans support centre, but I have doubts. And sadly some of these were confirmed already, during my first time there.

Basically, I'm proud of who I am, and of how I understand myself. I carefully choose my labels and my language, and don't stop until they fit. This helps me feeling part of something, don't feel wrong, and being honest myself.
    Where I live, we don't have many terms. And having less words means more possibility to say what you can (and what society expects) instead of what you think.

Coming to the point, now. Here on this site, I feel free to talk, to express myself and understand what I really want. My fears on joining a """real""" support centre are that I will be told what to do. I'll be pushed on the way to transition, and if not I couldn't call myself trans. Or I'll be told I just have other problems, who knows.
    Also the language is a problem. I don't want to be called the way they decide. Let's talk about MTF, FTM labels... everyone is free to use them for themselves, of course, but they seem so misgendering to me. I don't want to be called MTF, because I never was a male. This just hurts me and makes me feel less valid. Female (trans) is way better.
    They also use trans, MTF and FTM as nouns :eusa_doh: Just because in our language, we have two different articles, male and female forms... (let's say, "the" and "the") and they use to say "Correct articles are the MTF and the FTM" but I just want to scream these aren't nouns :bang: Do you say "Yesterday I saw a gay?" No, because that's disrespectful... so wtf

I need their help, so I could bite my tongue if they say "the MTF are not bad people"... but I will correct them if they'll refer specifically to me "you're a kind MTF".
    Sorry for this vent, but words are important... If a support centre doesn't pay attention to the language, who should do it?

#1 AnguishXx, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2016
  2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just tell them how you're comfortable being referred to, in my experience people in those places are really respectful about that stuff.