1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing names

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ConfusedSpoon, Sep 26, 2016.

1. ConfusedSpoon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've recently realized that I actually want to start using male pronouns, after a while of wearing binders and trying to look masculine to see if I could pass, (I have had a few kids think I was a boy) and I have been itching to try out a male name and get the one friend who knows I'm going through this to use it and see if I like it.
    I was wondering how other trans people have chosen their names? I keep finding myself attached to names and suddenly hating them and it's become a little frustrating, and I don't want anyone becoming confused if I keep changing my mind about my name.

2. lawlight

If you don't want everyone getting confused, maybe you could try just telling your new name to a few close friends at first, just to see if you can actually go by it?
    Alternatively, you could start using the name on the internet (like, right here) to test it out.

Best of luck!

3. SystemGlitch

My name is what my parents were going to call me if I was assigned male at birth. It feels right to use it. It's what I should have been called. :slight_smile: I know some other trans people who have done the same thing.

It's also a kinda common thing for trans people to take the masculine/feminine/gender neutral (depending on what's appopriate) version of their given name(s) and use that. For example, a trans woman whose given name was Kyle might take Kylie as their name, or an androgyne whose given name was Charlotte might take Charlie.

I also know trans people who literally just choose a name they like the sound of or that they feel fits them. It really depends on what you feel is best for you.

Definitely support what the above person said though. If it's just the one person, tell them you're trying out names to see what you like - I'm sure that as long as you don't switch it too often they'll be happy to help you find your name. Like the previous poster said, online is also an option. Just experiment in whatever way you can and you'll eventually find something that feels comfortable and correct for you. :grin: