1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Men's dress shirts for small DFAB individual

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ham4Ham, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Ham4Ham

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So my birthday was last week, and consequently I came into some extra spending money which I want to spend on men's dress shirts. My first thought was to order some online from Uniqlo, since they tend to run on the smaller side and I've had good experiences with their clothes before (although I've previously only ordered from the women's section).

I'm still worried as to whether they will be small enough, particularly in the sleeves (I have particularly short arms-- I have to roll up the sleeves of many of my shirts so they don't cover my palms). In their women's section I wear a small-- does anyone know if that's comparable to a men's extra small? If it's substantially larger, what other brands would you recommend? I've heard H&M is also good, but are there any others?

Also, I don't have access to a cloth tape measure-- otherwise I'd just compare their measurements to shirts I already own. So sorry if a similar question has recently been asked and I'm just not using my resources well.

Anyways, thanks in advance for your help!

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in the uk so you might not find the brands I suggest but it's worth a look. I was the absolute smallest size in woman's clothing so finding men's has been a struggle for me too. Dress shirts are measured around the neck in inches and then by fit e.g. Regular, slim, skinny. The way to measure your neck size is to wrap a tape measure around it and make sure you can still fit two fingers down the front. I'm about a 13.5/14 but I actually managed to find a 12.5 recently and it's a little tight but does the job. As for fit, unfortunately if you're extremely petite as I am, only the skinny fit shirts are going to be worth looking at. I'm not sure if you'll find any that do long/regular/short lengths, I haven't, but it's worth a look.

H&M for me has always run too big in any of their dressy clothes but trying them on is the only way you'll know if they fit you. My go to shops are Next, River Island (goes down to 12.5 inches) and Top Man.

Edit: Just read that you don't have a tape measure. Get a piece of string or even a pair of earphones will do, wrap it loosely around your neck and hen use a ruler or any other available measuring tape you have to measure the length of th string.

#2 Aberrance, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  3. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Maybe try looking in the boys section. If you do find something in a boys size, once you buy it and wear it, no one will know.

4. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Speaking from personal experience you should probably just go to the store and try them on. There are countless ways in which male dress shirts refuse to fit to the female body the way you want them to and it varies from piece to piece.

H&M is not bad but it's not really quality work either it's cheap so that's a plus but the designs aren't that good and the fabric is very thin so not good if you are looking for something substantial. A few pieces are fine though so again looking is your best bet.

5. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I dunno if Uniqlo's Japanese sizing is different but I wear a Small or Medium dress shirt from them and I used to buy Sm in the women's section (depends on if I'm binding and the cut, what size I get). I also shop at H&M, usually Medium from them (I find they fit smaller).