1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want a back tattoo but I don't want to take my shirt off

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rickystarr, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's a tattoo I've wanted for quite a while and I can finally afford to get it, but I have a lot of anxiety about removing any amount of clothing/not binding in public. I kind of figured I would never be able to afford it until after top surgery anyway, but now I think I can manage it and don't want to wait because of something so trivial.

The tattoo I want will be about the size of my hand with fingers spread and be right between my shoulderblades and go from about the top to the bottom of my shoulder blades.

I can't imagine a piece of clothing I'd be comfortable wearing that would leave that whole area bare while still covering my entire chest. I'm not even super concerned about binding as long as I don't have to remove my shirt or show my chest in any way. I don't really want to expose anything below my shoulderblades even on my back if I can help it as I have a lot of hips/waist dysphoria.

Any ideas?

2. Darthsam

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say just do it just think a moment of feel uncomfortable for something that's going to last forever

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got one about the size of my hand on my right shoulder a couple months ago. The tattoo shop I went to had three artists working in the same room so I'd enquire about whether your artist works in a room alone or with other people as that may add to make the experience easier. I bound with bandages whilst I got it done and for a couple days after, I'd really think about how you're going to be binding and keeping it clean for the couple weeks healing period, an infection isn't gonna be pretty. The worst part of my experience was standing up and having them shave and prep the area, once I was led on the chair and getting it done it took away some of the anxiety I was feeling as it keeps you focused. In the end, like the user above said, it's a few hours verses having it for the rest of your life, it's going to be worth it.

4. stoutdriver79

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tattoos are a very personal thing, get them for you. Hopefully one day you will be able to go without a shirt and show off that sweet ink.

5. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a good point... I didn't even think about the fact that I probably won't want to have a binder on top of it for a few weeks after getting it...

6. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was working the next day and I have a pretty small chest so I bound with bandages and then wrapped my entire upper body in cling film to cover the tattoo and help bind a little, did that for the initial 3 days cleaning it before and after wrapping it. For a week or two after that I just put some cling film over it to stop my binder touching it. Just make sure you have something worked out. Preferably get it done when you have a couple days off aftwrwards to make sure the first 48 hours healing is done otherwise it can fuck it up.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't have to take your shirt off completely to get a back piece. You can pull your shirt over from the back to your shoulders, so that way that part of your shirt is still covering your chest--if that makes sense.

8. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah, AJ's right. You won't have to show your chest. Some shops have privite rooms, I'd ask around, that way even if you do have your hips exposed, or your chest, only you and your artist are there. Once it starts, I mean the back doesn't hurt that badly but you are going over spine, you'll be focused on the pain plus endorphins! Yay!

You definitely wouldn't want to bind until it's healed. It'll need air to heal properly and the pulling/bunching of your back will be irritating at best and drive you crazy at worse. You don't want to spend all that money only for it to not end up how you want it.

#8 CJliving, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016