1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender therapy and what to expect

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Darthsam, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Darthsam

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got an appointment with a gender therapist soon what is going to like she seems really nice and understanding do you think that I'm now living as a girl 24/7 will help me plead my case to go on hormones any advice would help

2. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure you should look at therapy time as just about getting on hormones. You still need to kind of feel your therapist out in terms of if they are actually there to help you and not just handing out passes to drugs.

I'm also not sure going in presenting female and trying to convince them to be put on hormones right away is a great thing to do. You will probably have to do a little time exploring some of your life experiences before that happens.

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're happily living as a woman, that greatly decreases your risk of realizing you can't live as a woman and aren't transgender, so it might help. It varies by case, but generally gender therapists are inclined not to be extremely sceptical of your transgenderism.

As for what to expect, she'll probably ask you a bunch of questions. The questions my therapist asked me (of course they'll be different because I'm female-to-male) were: how does dysphoria feel, what would I ideally look like, how do I see ny life in fifteen years, if I've ever tried to pee standing up, what gave me the most dysphoria, how my family felt about it, if I wore a binder, when I came out, about my name, how I felt about menstruation. She also showed me a book of pictures with post-transition trans men and told me about the effects of HRT. Your visit will likely be something close to a girl version of that.

4. Darthsam

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok I'm being to inpatient I've started living as a woman it's how I present my self now I was more wondering what type of questions I'm going to be ask but thank you for your advice