1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The worries of being trans at a LGBT club meeting

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Matto_Corvo, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know I posted this else where but I wanted other trans peoples experience and advice.

I got the email today that our college's first ever LGBT club would meet on Tuesday.

I have always been iffy about joining such a club for several reasons. One reason is that I do nit want to go to a club where the only thing people will do is bitch about cis/hetero people. I respect all people and will not reduce myself to name calling of a certain group just because their sexuality and gender is consider "normal".

My main problem, though, is the uncertainty of how trans people will be treated with in the group. The majority of members are white cis males. The faculty advisor for the club is a gay male. I happen to check out his Facebook (look at the me the little stalker) and he happens to follow the page of the guy who wanted to take the T out of LGBT. (I honestly can't remember how to spell his name).
    I just worry a lot about how T people will be treated in such clubs. On EC we are lucky enough to have an amazing array of accepting people, but I've been on other sites where T gets bashed in the daily. Makes me less than a little optimistic for real life encounters.

I will at least give club a meeting or two to feel it out.
    Also have to worry about asking them to use the correct name and pronouns.
    On the signup sheet I used my legal name (female one).

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really glad you posted this and I'm going to be following.

I'm actually on the opposite side of this issue. I started an LGBT support group, and I want very much to be sure that all people in the community feel welcome. Because my girlfriend is trans and she's part of the group, as well as a friend of mine who's also trans, it matters a lot to me that they feel welcome, but it also matters to me in general that everyone feels included.

But I'd go further to say that it matters a lot to me that everyone feels comfortable sharing their story and that relevant issues are covered, and in fact that group feels completely relevant to them just as it does anyone else in the LGBT community.

I'm interested in hearing people's experiences.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you. I do think though that if they make you feel in any way unincluded, that it would be only right that you take up that complaint with someone within the school, so that they are held accountable for that. It's not right, and the club should be a safe place for all people in the LGBT community.

#2 baristajedi, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  3. iiimee

At my high school, we have a rule that, even if you disagree with sometimes identity, you are not to complain about it and you should respect it. :/ Support groups are not places for heated debates about whose issues are and are not valid- I understand that in schools you can debate that, but a support group is meant for unbiased support. Ofc, if someone says their sexuality is fucking children, that's another issue, but yeah, I think most support groups have a "no judgement" policy within them... if yours doesn't, and the people seem rude, stop going, but you really should give it a chance if you want to join.

4. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wasn't really out/sure when I was in my university's LGBTQIA group, but I do remember quite a lot being said about "ew vaginas" and a lot of anti-cis/het rhetoric. We didn't have any trans members, but there was a drag queen and a drag queen.

But like you said, go, try it, if it's not what you want/need, don't go back. It's unfortunate that some people feel the need to be so divisive and on the offense.

5. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The LGBT group in my college is part of a program called "citizens in schools" or CIS. Nobody even noticed the irony until myself and a non-binary friend of mine started going... That being said, CIS is a sadly fitting name for that group... Two afab non-binary individuals, who were unsure of how receptive people would be to they/them pronouns, made the mistake of saying "I prefer they/them pronouns, but I guess she/her might not be the (complete) end of the world" and everyone except my friend and I used she/her for both of them...