1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top surgery help

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Iantourage, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Iantourage

Lately, I've been realizing how much I want top surgery. I used to think I didn't care, so that's what I told my parents, but in all honesty, I really care. How do I tell my parents I want top surgery? Obviously I'm a little young for it right now, but I'm probably going to tell them when I'm in college that I want it. I'll most likely still be financially dependent on them at that point, meaning they'll have to pay for it. I'm going to buy a binder soon, so I'm sure they'll start getting the hint, but I doubt they'll go for it if I just flat out ask for it.

Any advice on how to ask/tell them would be great, thanks!

2. Elliotzt2000

Maybe start by getting them used to the idea. The binder could be a good start, and maybe make subtle comments about being uncomfortable with your chest. Then they'll get the idea that you're really not happy. You could also mention a "friend" who had top surgery and ask what they'd do if they were the person's parents (would they be supportive of the top surgery, etc.). Idk, just some ideas. Hope I helped

3. Iantourage

Thanks! I'm probably going to use the friend thing (although my mom is the kind of person to ask "which friend?" and I might have to change it a bit for her sake ) and see how they react. Thanks again for the help!