1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents want me to cut my hair...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TayReb, Oct 3, 2016.

1. TayReb

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So, I've been trying to grow my hair out for a while now, but every time it gets to be about shoulder height, my parents make me cut my hair. They say it makes me look girly. THATS THE WHOLE POINT!!! I've been secretly struggling with my gender fluidity for awhile, but my mom and dad just found out tonight. My mom took my phone and found my account on here. Now that they know, I'm afraid that they will make me cut it again. What should I do?

2. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm.. That's a tough one. I know the feeling though, I used to be in cadets (military program for youth) for five years, which my parents forced me through, and they make all "males" cut their hair really short. I think the best thing you can do is just talk to them, explain why you want your hair longer, etc. How have your parents been taking it since they found out? If they seem confused or unsure maybe try having a sit down with them and try to explain exactly how you're feeling? And then you could bring up your hair again and say something like "and that's why I want to grow my hair out."

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If they're being persistent, get it cut about 2cm. It'll be shorter but will help it grow.

4. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know it defeats the object, but if they won't accept your gender, you could show them some masculine men with long hair to prove it doesn't have to be girly.