1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm going to be in a play

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Linus, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What the title says. I'm going to be playing a male role, and in the playbill/handout/cast list I will be listed as Linus rather than the name most people know me by. My friends and family will be in the crowd, but more importantly, acquaintances that I haven't come out to. Yet. I guess I'm not really sure how to think about this. Should I be nervous? Will publicly coming out turn my world upside down? I don't really know what to expect. I've recently come out to most people I know in my every day life. There have been some questions, some confusion, but it has more or less gone over okay. Will coming out publicly be different though? People won't know that I'm gender fluid. They will think that I'm either a lesbian playing name games, or trans, most likely the later. Either way I might get questions.

My mom got me a binder recently. I reinforced my pleas saying I needed it for the part so she decided that it was just about time. That's good. Not a lot of people notice though, which I'm sort of glad of, because then there would be more questions. And then I don't have to berate some guy for looking at my chest. If they did ask, That's probably what I'd do.

I'm not nervous. I just wonder where the balance is between being noticed and being gossip. I know I'll sometimes hear snippets of gossip about some of my other trans friends, just hear and there. I have natural wallflower (or more like wallpaper) abilities, but I'm still trying not to be noticed that much. Not enough people know me to notice me, I guess. Yet still, it doesn't take much for a few words of gossip. It won't be like the whole school obviously, because there's like 2000 kids. Even if it's just one or two though... It matters to me. Today a girl was helping to pass back quizzes and was like "Mr. WD, I think this is from the wrong class, it says "Linus" on it." My teacher took it from her and put it down on my desk. After class i went up to her and told her that I also go by Linus, that people call me both. I don't know what she thought of that, but she looked confused. :/

This whole coming out process is a bit weird. It's one thing around friends, but with people you don't know, it just confuses them, and then you wish that they didn't know, so you hide it again. I'm not hiding my gender but I don't know the best way to explain it. There might be some questions coming my way...

2. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I lied. I am sort of nervous. I feel like everything's happening at once. Halp. :frowning2:

3. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Well...it's not a public coming out per se as girls can play guy roles in a play so don't get nervous about that too much.

Good luck with your play, just try to give the best possible performance.

---------- Post added 11th Oct 2016 at 05:07 PM ----------

...why does that last sentence sound kinky when I reread it? ....mind get out of the gutter!

#3 Cinis, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2016
  4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people