1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to question your gender identity?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by the rainbow rat, Oct 9, 2016.

1. the rainbow rat

Hi :slight_smile:

I am a 13 year old female. I'm pretty feminine (I like makeup, have medium length hair - and I'm mostly happy with it, my only complaint is that it makes my neck sweat :lol: - have recently become interested in dolls, I like drawing, I feel comfortable in unisex clothes although I do like skirts and stuff, etc) but for some reason I've randomly started questioning my gender..:confused:

I imagined myself being called 'he/him' and felt like I was trapped. When I imagine myself as a guy I feel like it's a mask, but when I imagine being a female I feel whole (now, this could be because I am presenting as one). So I've come to the conclusion that I'm definitely not male :lol: However, I'm starting to wonder if I could be genderqueer - when I imagined being called 'they/them' and 'she/her' I felt the same, so I'm not sure if that is true.. Or if it's even possible to be a genderqueer feminine AFAB?

Genderqueer/non-binary people (or trans women or men, I don't mind), how did you go about questioning, and how did you realise your gender identity?

I hope this all made sense, and I didn't offend anyone in any way :slight_smile:

2. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well they/them doesnt hold any gendered weight. So being called they/them and she/her together is unlikely to bother most cis people on a fundamental theoretical level. We're sort of pretty indifferent as you said.

Also I wear mens clothes and mens perfume and all sorts of crazy stuff but that doesn't make me genderqueer because I just have no problem with being female.

But on the other hand genderqueer people would porbably like to do that to, and not all genderqueer and other non binary people are strongly affected by pronouns. So yes the label could fit either of us if we felt fundamentally somethingnwas rong with us being viewed as female. Thats very personal.

Anyway, its a healthy stage of your development to be questioning, but you shouldn't be worrying if your questioning hard enough - if you're genuinely thinking it through and nothings coming up then that's fine, dont get hung up on it.

3. the rainbow rat

That makes sense, thanks :slight_smile:

4. SystemGlitch

The amount of femininity/masculinity in your personality isn't a good indicator of anything to do with your gender. Feminine men exist, some of whom are trans men, as do masculine women, some of whom are trans women. If you were masculine, it wouldn't be automatically assumed that you were a trans man. It's a really common misconception that people make if they are questioning though. :lol: So, yep, it's perfectly possible to be someone who is AFAB, feminine, and genderqueer (or any other gender identity). I'm not the most manly man out there but I am definitely a man. While questioning, try to separate your actions and personality from your feelings about your gender.

The fact that you said you feel like being female is natural and whole for you tells me that you're probably not trans. The majority of trans people feel disconnected or uncomfortable or like there is something wrong with their assigned gender. One of the things I've often heard is the "wearing a mask" statement, it's a way people commonly describe having to go out in the world as their assigned gender. If you're feeling that way when you imagine yourself not to be female, it'd suggest that you are a woman to me.

Regarding pronouns, they/them really has no reason to bother anyone. They're completely gender neutral and are used for groups frequently or people you aren't sure of the gender of upon first meeting, as well as NB individuals. You've almost definitely been called they/them in the past without really registering it. If there's no gender attached, it's the same as being called "human" or "person", there's nothing about it that should make someone uncomfortable (like a man might feel if he is continously called "she", because it is a strictly female word). The only reason it might bother someone is if someone is deliberately using it to avoid what another person's preferred gender is and possibly invalidate them (for example, someone who refuses to call a trans woman "she" and instead calls her "they"). If you were feeling disconnected or unhappy with female pronouns, that would be a bigger indicator, but having indifference to pronouns doesn't imply being trans OR being cis. Many cis people don't care for pronouns, but so do some trans people.

As for me when I was questioning, my narrative is quite a bit different than other people's because I came out to my mom as questioning if I was a trans boy pretty much as soon as I found out what the word was at 14. It ended up being something I didn't do alone, even though my mom was mostly playing Devil's advocate and constantly saying "but what if you aren't?". I didn't really realise that there was a big stigma attached to trans people so I just thought "yes I can finally be right!", but having to prove it to my mom was difficult - I had to really dig deep into why I felt how I did, how to describe it, is that a common experience, etc., so I ended up cementing it and getting rid of my doubts that way. Most of the things that help me know that it's not just "being more masculine" are from my childhood, but some people don't have early signs that they are trans and not everyone has the same experience with it. I had always felt discomfort around girls and tried to mimic the other boys sometimes because it always felt weird to me that people continously put me with the girls - to the point that I had a screaming match with my mom when I was 8, the first time I wore a dress to school (before that point I had literally no issue with it) and saw that none of the other boys were wearing a dress. I just hadn't realised that dresses were a "female" thing until that point and I was really angry that my mom was making me wear it and making people even more likely to go "oh yeah, that's a girl". I had literally no idea that it was because "girls have one type of body and boys had another" until I did basic sex ed mostly focused on puberty in year 5 (age 10). You've probably realised by now, I wasn't very socially aware. :lol: Anyway, we did "boy's genitals" first, and for a solid twenty minutes or so I got very upset because I thought that my penis was really small and that the other boys would laugh if they found out, then we did "girl's genitals" and seeing... well, what I had listed under girls upset me even more. I pretty much became convinced that my penis just hadn't grown properly yet, and that once puberty properly started for me it'd grow in. Of course, that was complete bullshit and didn't happen, but I held onto that belief for a long time and still low-key hope it will happen. Those are the main things that help me clarify in my mind that I am a boy, though there are spots of other stuff. Things that I've felt or done that wouldn't make sense at all for a cis girl to be feeling. I've been 'officially' identifying as male since I was 15 and since just before my 19th birthday I've been living as male, and it feels like I've been reborn. I wasn't really living before, It like I was just doing the motions of living without any of the emotions and feelings and experiences.

Again, though, not all transgender people feel this way, and it might be a lot different for the average NB trans person than it is for the average binary trans person. I hope this helps regardless, and I wish you luck in figuring yourself out! (*hug*)

5. Synesthesia

Does it ever bother you that you are viewed as female?

Do you ever feel that certain body parts you have are wrong in some way? If yes why do you think that is?

How do you see yourself in the future?

Do you ever feel like you're being trapped by your body because everyone sees you as female because of it?

do your feelings related to the above fluctuate?

6. the rainbow rat

Thanks for sharing (*hug*) this will help me a lot ^^ I kind-of relate to the penis thing (I said that I had a.. small version of one...) but I think that was just cause I wanted to fit in...with um....my brother :lol: (I feel so awkward saying that last sentence *crawls under rock*)

1. Not really..

2. Mostly as a woman.

3. I don't think so..but when I think 'I'm female' I panic a bit/feel stressed (maybe it's because I'm just not good with labels) but when I fill in for example the Kinsey Scale test (from when I was questioning my sexuality:lol:slight_smile: I feel comfortable ticking the 'female' box..

4. A bit. For example, sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and think, this doesn't feel right and this isn't me, like there's someone else deep inside...it's weird :lol: As a side note, I feel oddly detached from my name (I respond to it and everything, but sometimes I feel weird referring to myself as it :confused:)

From these answers it seems like I'm mostly female (maybe a little agender or genderflux?), I'll give it a week or so and see how I feel then :slight_smile:

I feel a bit bad for taking up the time that could be used to help other more 'legitimately' trans people...sorry:icon_sad: (what I mean by that is people that are definitely genderfluid, the opposite gender to their sex, agender etc whereas the evidence for me seems to suggest that I'm mostly cis...)

#6 the rainbow rat, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  7. SystemGlitch

You don't need to feel bad. Helping cis people who are questioning realise their gender identity is just as important as helping trans people who are questioning realise their gender identity. Everyone who is questioning should be treated equally, regardless of how they end up identifying in the end. :slight_smile:

8. the rainbow rat

I guess that's true.

Also, I've had more of a think about it and although I think I'll wait a bit before I come to a definite conclusion, I think I'm a cisgender female (I just like to wear gender-neutral clothes as well as feminine ones I guess). Thanks for helping me reach this conclusion, if I'd tried to do it on my own I would have taken a lot longer and probably would have found it a lot harder:lol:

9. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Tbh that penis thing made me laugh system glitch because I used to say to boys that I was actually a boy, I just had a really small penis and you couldn't see it easily hahaha. My defence was that I had a micropenis lol. That was when I was about 6. I believed it but I dunno sort of forgot about it later. But it always makes me laugh to look back on that.