1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared about transitioning and now doubting my gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ihavenoclue1999, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Ihavenoclue1999

Hi everyone,

For the past few months (over 5) I have been questioning my gender and I was very confused for ages but I finally kind of accepted I might be transgender but in order to transition at school I needed a letter from a gender psychologist so UP until this point I have been really wishing for this to move quicker so I can socially transition, yesterday my psychologist said she would write me the letter and I was really happy but now I'm extremely worried and not wanting to do it anymore but kind of still wanting to do it. I'm afraid I will regret it that it's not right for me and that I'm not actually trans these doubts were almost a constant and very distressing thought in the beginibg but as time had gone on they have become less common and Iv been looking forward to it but now I'm back I the denial/doubt phase and I'm worried this means I'm wrong or I should wait like I want to be a guy I want a guys body I want to be seen as a guy or androgynous I want a dick I want to have sex as a guy with guys I want to be someone's boyfriend but I'm still doubting that I'm trans because I don't know if I "feel" like a guy or not I'm not sure how you can feel like a gebder and I think maybe it's because I'm so used to seeing myself as a girl ad when family call me he ect I feel a bit uncomfortable but when strangers do it or I look like a boy Im happy I'm not sure if it's coz I feel like they are taking the piss out of me or it's a sign I'm not trans and I'm also terrified of a receding hairline I would rather not go on T or do low dose than have a receding hairline (sorry that's a bit of topic) I'm just not sure where all these doubts have come from I was excited and impatient about transition but now I want to go back and never think about itv or tell anyone about it, why is this happening and what can I do to get over it and figure out if this is what I want?
    Cheers :help: :bang::icon_sad::tears:

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Gender isn't really a ''feeling'' since ''feeling'' I'm pretty sure is what you'd call ''abstract thought''. But what gender is the dysphoria or euphoria towards a gender. Your wanting of male sex organs, and male sex roles (not gender roles) would be a sign of being male.

People tend not to get as dysphoric once the person knows what he/she/they is/are and the person can start to transition.

There are lots of guys (cis and trans) who are scared of receding hairlines but he is still what he is.

In the future, such as 10 years time, what do you want to be seen as by yourself and other people?

Change can be scary, even if it's the right change.

#2 Secrets5, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  3. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Is it possible to be uncomfortable with your body and have that discomfort go away? Yes...so that might not always be an indicator.
    Here's my personal experience as a non trans person:
    I felt a huge disconnection with my chest for a few years. I'm not sure if this is what dysphoria feels like for a trans person but for me it just felt like they weren't a part of me and shouldn't be there. I only ever felt like myself when looking in the mirror when they were covered somehow. I also sometimes felt like I should have a male body but never as strong as with my chest.
    For me these feelings have gone away and I'm pretty fine with my body as it is.
    It could be that I just took all my pent up frustration with my female gender role that everyone kept forcing on me and blaming my body for it. I'm not sure if that's actually true but it's a theory on why I felt that way without being trans.
    But looking back (and here's the part that could help you) I think there were always signs that I wasn't Trans even during this times: I always could identify more with trans guys pre everything than those that actually transitioned. For me transitioning always felt like giving up the battle not winning the war. What I wanted was a male gender role and a female body not a male gender role and a male body despite feeling disconnected from said female body even if I did not always realize that.

I'm not sure if this actually helps but maybe it's a way to look at things

#3 Cinis, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2016
  4. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Feeling" like a guy isn't really a good standard to determine gender imo. It's not concretely defined, it's usually just used by people who can't articulate how they feel better. I'm trans and I've never "felt" like a guy, because I can't understand what that means. I just know that I want to be biologically male and treated as a male and that I'm much more comfortable now that I've socially transitioned.

Feeling like a certain gender is often another form of gender roles and I think a result of transgender representation not focusing on dysphoria, and rather trying to make it palatable for people who would think dysphoria is weird or a self-image issue rather than a neurological phenomenon. I wouldn't put much stock into it.

5. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you would really rather keep your hairline than n go on T perhaps there is your answer as far as hormonal transition goes. Everyone's hairline recedes on T and that is actually going to help you pass and look more male. I'm personally excited for that as long as I don't actually go bald until my forties at least.

But as for feeling like a guy...I don't necessarily FEEL like a guy, but I definitely don't feel female either. I think it is hard for me to really feel male until I look male and can interact as male. But that is just me.

Just ask yourself this: are you okay with being female? It is possible the intensity of your feelings has decreased because you are used to them now, but are the feelings still there?

#5 Rickystarr, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  6. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like others have said, "feeling" isn't the right word. It's more of an....intuition(is that the right word?). Deep down I have always known I was a girl, it's just that this is the first time it's not "deep down."

7. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I think this is something you should think about. It's not about wanting to physically becoming the idea you have of being a guy but becoming an actual guy (if that makes any sense?)

If you go down the street and see all the guys passing by: Old , young, pretty, average. Could you imagine looking in the mirror and seeing that reflected back to you? How would it make you feel?

#7 Cinis, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016