1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transition Expectation Vs. Reality?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by enjeruciel, Oct 14, 2016.

1. enjeruciel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As a non binary transguy questioning whether or not I should transition via HRT within the next few years, I'm curious for those of you out there who have transitioned or are in the process of transitioning via HRT, whether MTF or FTM (though I admittedly know less about the MTF experience because I'm coming from the opposite side, hello from the other side~lol) what has your transition been like for you? Did you have any expectations going into HRT or general transitioning and do you think what actually happened or is happening matches those expectations or was different from your expectations? Transguys, transmasculine, non-binary transmen, demiguys in particular, I am ignorant of all possible labels, sorry if I left some out (though transwomen are welcome to share as well of course, I just have particular curiosities that relate to my potential outcomes) based on your family history did you experience changes you thought you might experience such as male pattern baldness, fat redistribution in certain ways, facial hair growth and body hair growth in certain levels/areas? If you feel comfortable answering and sharing your stories I would really appreciate it. I'm especially interested in low dose T experiences, as that's likely what I would go with. I have so many questions and no way of really knowing before I actually begin transitioning it seems.

To elaborate on my goal in transitioning:
    Essentially what I'd be trying to achieve is a more masculine form/body shape and a masculine voice. While my chest does cause a considerable amount of dysphoria, I'm hesitant about getting top surgery. I would prefer a breast reduction, because I am non-binary, genderqueer and/or gender fluid I'm not sure how you'd label me but essentially I'm a guy who likes girly things and while I'm in a female body I'd rather my body look male, but still be able to pass as female if I wanted to present feminine. Anyway because I'm a B cup I don't know if breast reduction would be possible. If there are trans individuals out there in a similar situation who have had successful reductions, I would love to hear your stories.

I love androgyny and hold it as a beauty ideal, especially for myself. This is why I fear male pattern baldness and I am aware it is common among transmen I've heard due to our additional X chromosome. This worries me considerably as I like my hair and I would hate to irreversibly lose it. On the flip side, I'm not a big fan of body hair and I'm not too excited for it to thicken or develop in areas I've previously never had it. I also enjoy the softness of my skin and worry about losing that softness. Facial hair also worries me considerably. I know laser hair removal can be an option to get rid of facial hair, but it's also expensive right?

T has the power to give me the voice and the body I want, which would do wonders for me, but it also has the power to cause me more distress. Any thoughts? (sorry for the novel response)

2. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a really good question, I'd love to know whether people found their expectations met.

3. Andrea7579

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You sound like a wonderful and sincere person. i just wanted to say that but I can't really answer your questions. I am "going the other way" but am early in the process. I have some similar concerns.. i want to be feminine but am still unsure about how far to go.

4. Cinis

Cinis Guest

...I can't provide my own experiences but there are actually a lot of non-b people that went on low T doses and documented the changes. If I remember correctly Micah the person who writes the site "noitrois nonsense" has documented their change on low T there. There are also some youtubers so searching non-binary transition there could give you some insight.

The fact that hair loss is much likelier in trans guys due to the two x chromosomes is sadly true. But for you there might be a chance to maybe avoid that depending on how much you want to change your body. If you go on T and then stop some changes like muscle growth etc. revert back closer to the original state. But other things like the deeper voice (and yes also the hair lost) stay. Since you're still young you could go on low dose T now and stop after the permanent changes are as you desire them to be. Then if you're older your hair won't fall off because in that moment of time you're not on T.

In every case it might be a good idea to talk to a doctor about the risks of having the T and E levels you'd have then since that's a problem "traditional" trans people wouldn't have.

Hoped this helped a bit.