1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Important Things To Pass As A Teen MTF

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Lacybi, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So as a bit of background to my question, I'm a 15 year old afab nonbinary writer and I'm currently writing a story titled Not Really Me featuring a trans girl (Morgan) as a main character. I posted the first chapter on Booksie a year ago and I've been slowly working on it since. When I started writing about Morgan I thought I was female - or at least mainly female - and so in my mind it made more sense for me to write a trans female main character rather than a trans male one. A while ago I began to feel uncomfortable about doing this and so I decided to rewrite it. My first idea was to make Morgan trans masculine instead, but I love Morgan for who she is and I couldn't do that to her, so instead I've separated the story into multiple perspectives.
    The problem of me not being amab still stands though and I was wondering what help you wonderful trans feminine people could offer to me in terms of passing. Morgan is closeted for the majority of the story so subtle things would be greatly appreciated as well as more obvious things for the end of the story. Anything that you thought was useful in helping you pass would be appreciated.

2. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1.) Work on voice. Simply raising pitch doesn't work if the resonance and intonation aren't feminine.

2.) Shape the eyebrows. This is one detail that many MTF people overlook.

3.) Pierce the ears.

4.) Grow out hair on the head but remove hair in other places.

5.) Tuck and wear a bra.

6.) Take hormones and get top and bottom surgery if necessary.

3. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It kind of depends on your style of writing and artistic license on how well the character passes or not.

Basically you are writing a character who is sometimes acting like another character. Morgan will likely have two different wardrobes. One for when he needs to be a he, and a second for those times where he can be a she along with makeup and accessories.

Androgyny is easy in writing, less so in real life. You really have to nail down the character's birth traits before you know what areas of themselves they will have to work on changing or hiding. You don't always have to tuck a penis, but your Adam's apple is always visible unless you wear turtle necks and scarves all the time. Shaving is pretty straight forward, as are hair cuts. Height could be a bigger problem than the whole penis thing as well, since on average women are shorter than men.