1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

low dysphoria/discomfort - is there anyone that feels the same?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by kjy, Oct 18, 2016.

1. kjy

kjy

my doubts over being trans (ftm) are starting to ease off quite significantly however the one thing that does bother me is that my levels of dysphoria/discomfort are quite low. whilst i am definitely uncomfortable with both my body and how i am viewed socially, it is not crippling sadness and it does not make me depressed. i have always been quite a cheery person and always much more inclined towards worrying rather than sadness which is why i think i may be having all these doubts in the first place but nevertheless they are still horribly distressing.

another thing that is probably notable is that i definitely get what could be described as gender 'euphoria'/happiness and thats undeniable! its just that whenever i hear about how much many other trans people have had to struggle with depression and feeling suicidal, i feel so guilty because, although i feel bad, i do not feel that way. i don't want to be an imposter and i dont want to seem like im trying to be trendy or anything

if there is anyone with any advice to help my situation / anyone who feels similarly to me, any response would be greatly appreciated!

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Everyone feels dysphoria different and affects people in different ways.

People who are being trendy are [for example since there's probably a couple of ways] are those who constantly mention their gender identity despite the people he/she/they is mentioning to already fully accepts them. He/she/they is simply using it to be ''different'' rather than actually being what he/she/they is.

If you are what you are, then there is no way you are less of what you are because of how others are how they are. [If that makes sense].

3. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally identify as agender/non-binary though I wouldn't say I experience an extreme amount of dysphoria, and much how Secrets5 stated, dysphoria is different for everyone and isn't necessarily a determination or proof that you're "trans enough". For example, I suffer from moderate depression, though I'm not particularly the type of person that experiences a lot of self-loathing, and one of the most common symptoms and experiences you tend to read about with depression is how people hate themselves and have a hard time taking care of themselves. For me, I become incredibly tired, socially frazzled, and have a somewhat low mood almost all of the time, but I don't particularly lack a lot of self confidence and I've never really hated myself or indulged in any kind of self-deprecating behavior / I don't find it hard to have motivation to take care of myself, just for other things socially. So, really I think part of the reason you hear about trans people with a lot of dysphoria more often is because having a severe reason put behind a person's actions simply makes the condition more understandable to the public and easier to present, but you don't necessarily need this just to know who you are and what you really want in life :slight_smile:

Edit: Don't feel bad about yourself for feeling good about yourself as best you can! Your experiences, how you feel, and the problems you have are still very valid no matter how others feel! You should be proud to have good coping mechanisms and self awareness. Don't let anyone tell you you "aren't trans enough" just because you like yourself.

#3 EverDeer, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  4. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally find that dysphoria fluctuates. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. It's unlikely that someone would go through their whole life with crippling dysphoria and depression. We all have coping mechanisms and denial and other things to worry about. So I'd say all that matters is would you be happier as something other than your birth sex? Does that thought occupy you regularly? And do you at least occasionally have discomfort towards your body and social role? You are allowed to be happy.

5. enjeruciel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can relate significantly to this. I identify as non binary trans masculine (still think labels are weird though) and my gender dysphoria for the most part is relatively mild. I tend to see my body as a good starting point for what and who I want to be. I try to look at the things I like about my body (which tend to be the more masculine aspects though sometimes feminine aspects like the smoothness of my skin etc.) and I just think of it as a matter of time until I am who and what I want to be. That relief seems to lessen it significantly and I tend to approach it with an attitude of "if there's nothing I can do about it now, there's no use making myself miserable about it. I can do something about it later on, and when that time comes things will be better, so I'm just going to exist as myself, enjoy the things out of life that I enjoy, and try not to think about gender." (Social dysphoria though seems to weigh heavier on me in general.)

Also love everything about KipperTheDeer's response. Mild gender dysphoria shouldn't make you feel invalid as a trans person because you think you're "not trans enough." I really dislike that phrase. Rickystarr's questions were also very good. Just remember that the trans experience is highly subjective and individualized based on each trans person's experience and perception of self. You are the one who defines yourself and you will always be the one to determine and decide for yourself who you are. Just because your experience is different or potentially less common than the trans "norm" doesn't mean you are not trans.

6. kjy

kjy

my answer to all the questions you asked would be pretty much definitely yes! and the discomfort towards my body and social role is there multiple times/daily , its only that it doesnt make me severely sad which then leads to me doubting myself! thank you for these questions and reassurance, they have helped :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 19th Oct 2016 at 01:25 PM ----------

thank you for taking the time to write this, i appreciate it a lot! its also made me realize that when i think about my body (for instance) i cant really think of a single thing a like per se, its just that sometimes i feel like i dont hate the bits i dislike enough .. which in a strange way has helped clear that up a little for me so thank you again!

---------- Post added 19th Oct 2016 at 01:31 PM ----------

thank you for taking the time to write this, i appreciate it a lot! its also made me realize that when i think about my body (for instance) i cant really think of a single thing a like per se, its just that sometimes i feel like i dont hate the bits i dislike enough .. which in a strange way has helped clear that up a little for me so thank you again!

---------- Post added 19th Oct 2016 at 01:37 PM ----------

thank you so much! i appreciate everything you've said and your input has been very helpful! thank you :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 19th Oct 2016 at 01:40 PM ----------

yes that does make sense to me! thats a very good way of looking at it, thank you for offering this new perspective

7. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It fluctuates quite a bit, for me. The only constant is, I know I'm a girl and I'll be happier when I actually start to be one.:icon_wink