1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transness linked to digit ratio

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Hats, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Apparently males and females have different digit ratios between their index and ring fingers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_ratio

Wiki says, "Assuming a normal distribution the above lead to 95% prediction intervals for 2D:4D ratio of 0.889-1.005 for males and 0.913-1.017 for females."

Interestingly, Wiki mentions that a study in Germany found that trans women had a higher digit ratio than males and one that was more comparable to females.

Mine on my left hand is 1.027, which is above both the male and female ratios but also much closer to the top end of the female ratio span, so I suppose it figures that I'm not cis. There are also several characteristics in the "High" table which are definitely true for me.

How do the rest of you compare? :slight_smile:

2. Synesthesia

I did mine a bunch of times a while ago and got an absurdly masculine ratio (well above the male average, doesn't hold up with my general lack of physical androgyny.) But I was measuring from the side of the finger and I think you're supposed to measure from the middle? Actually I think you're supposed to measure a photocopy but I can't do that.

I've remeasured from the middle of the finger this time and got 0.958 on my left hand and 0.945 on my right hand.

I'm fairly certain I have ADHD, although my ratio is not particularly low for a guy (it would be around average, maybe even on the feminine side again for a guy,) also when they say male I assume they mean the male sex? I'm faab. I'm sure it's just looking at cis individuals though.

I'm also fairly rubbish at maths tbh.

I find that quite interesting, I tend to be attracted to more feminine people (strong preference for guys, so feminine guys,) having said that I'm not sure about facial structure specifically. I've been attracted to a range but not overly masculine.

#2 Synesthesia, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  3. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, for my right hand its somewhere between 0.932 and 0.945 (slightly different numbers depending on the exact millimeter; I was just using a regular ruler)
    and my left hand came out to 0.957

So according to the total average female mean of 0.965 that's slightly lower and almost exactly on par with the total average male mean of 0.947 but overall still fits mostly within the middle of the average female prediction interval (I am biologically female) and near the higher end of the average male prediction interval.