1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name Dysphoria / Bigender / Having multiple names?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by EverDeer, Oct 21, 2016.

1. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, recently I've been wondering if I would enjoy beginning to introduce myself to people more by my chosen name (which is the one I use on here, Kipp)

I've been practicing referring to myself as Kipp in my head for a few months or so now, and I've even begun to have dreams where people around me refer to me as that rather than my birth name, and I enjoy it. When I first was privately thinking of the name, I sort of jokingly humored the idea with my boyfriend, I think he picked up on it though and from time to time he'll call me that just sort of as a cute nickname.

Here's the thing though, whilst Kipp does give me gender euphoria, my birth name doesn't necessarily cause me much dysphoria. It doesn't cause me euphoria either, but I'm just sort of neutral to it. Also, I'm wondering if by changing my name it will make me want to later change my pronouns as well? (I still primarily use she/her) Since its a more masculine name...so I'm not sure if really I'm just keeping myself in the dark / choosing to stay neutral and indifferent or if I'm trying to force this too much? I have a habit of not knowing when I just don't care due to wanting to remain indifferent/neutral so that I don't cause conflict.

So I guess my main question is, do you think it would be difficult/odd to have two names? I'm sure most all of my close friends would call me Kipp if I asked them to, I have other trans friends and they've readily adjusted to them in the past, and if anyone became confused I would just say that Kipp is a nickname really... I'm not sure if I'd ever want to legally change my birthname anyway because I don't really ever plan to come out to my parents and also it doesn't cause me too much dysphoria? Is it okay to still enjoy it but just sort of think of it as a nickname / have two names....?

2. SystemGlitch

People have nicknames all the time for many reasons. If you're planning to use it mostly amongst friends and understanding people, it seems fine to me to use Kipp as a more neutral nickname, just like any other person could use a nickname that they prefer over their birth name. If you want to introduce yourself to people as Kipp and treat it more as your only name while avoiding the use of your birth name, though, then it could get trickier - especially if someone who only knows you as Kipp hears someone refer to you by your birth name or such - but again you can just tell them that it's a nickname you prefer over your real name. So in short, it sounds fine to me, and I wouldn't have an issue using a nickname/second name for someone.

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't say so, considering some stage personalities have a stage name and a legal/real-life name.

4. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, since my birthname doesn't cause me too much discomfort I feel it would seem pretty casual / be easy for me to clear up that issue if it ever happened. I think the main reason I wouldn't want to go to any name changing hassle (other than to be respectful to my family I think) would be because of art/work I typically have to be known by my full name on different platforms, so my birthname would almost just be my professional title at that point...

That's kind of how I saw it as well...and if anything, really a lot of my friends already call me by another 3rd nickname already anyway that's connected to one of my art characters / usernames that I've created within the art communities I'm apart of so I think it'd be fine...