1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T Questions....

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by kparkhill, Oct 22, 2016.

1. kparkhill

For all you transguys out there who have been on T for a while, I was wondering how did taking T affect your head hair? Does T make it thinner? Asking because my hair is already pretty fine, and I'm terrified of it getting thinner. Vain, I know, but I love my hair and the fear of losing it is a reason I might stay away from T. Also, are there any preventative measures to take so I can keep my hair and hairline? I've heard finasteride/propecia can help.

Thanks y'all :slight_smile:

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a case by case basis for everyone because T affects everyone differently. Some people experience thinning and hair loss, and some don't to that extreme of a degree.

A lot of it does depend on your genetics and other factors; for example, my partner and I started T the same day and his genetics have made him more predisposed to having body hair and a receding hairline, whereas not much has changed for me in terms of my hair thinning or anything like that.

If you ever start T, this is something you can talk to your endocrinologist and PCP about. If hair thinning or loss is common on both sides of your family, then maybe they can offer you Rogaine or something to prevent hair loss down the line. You could also try taking vitamins that are good for your hair, skin, and nails, like vitamin e and biotin.

At the end of the day, hormones like T are a total wild card and a lot of what we can expect as already given to us by a shuffle of the deck thanks to our genetics.

3. AaronV

I can only agree with what Daydreamer1 said.
    It basically comes down to luck and genetics, what I've heard most frequently is that you should look at your grandfather on your maternal side of the family.
    I was personally also afraid of losing my hair, my grandfather had full hair until he died basically, but my father started losing his hair as soon as he turned like 25. He started using a special kind of shampoo though and that has toned the hair loss down significantly over the years.
    I've been on T for a little over a year and so far my hairline has stayed the same, I had a pretty masculine hairline to begin with though.