1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Masculine/ftm makeup help?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by hollabackboy, Oct 22, 2016.

1. hollabackboy

Out Status:
    Some people
    So, lately I've been getting into doing contouring and such to help myself pass better, and also because makeup is fun. I've watched a bunch of tutorials on it, and generally they all give you the same type of advice- ways to accentuate the angles in your face.

The only problem is, I don't really /have/ many angles in my face to accentuate- I've got them chubby cheeks, and I swear my face is basically just a circle. (I've got a picture of myself on my profile)

If you check the only photo on my album right now, that was my first attempt at doing contouring like that. Obviously I've gotten a little better, but here's what I do:

1) Don't really need foundation because I've got nice skin and because I don't like the idea of covering my entire face in makeup, but I use Elf mineral booster sometimes.

2) I darken my eyebrows a little. They're a bit off in the photo I have, but I've gotten better. They look kind of awesome at the moment to be honest.

3) I start contouring. The videos all show you to draw a line from the side of your head down to near your mouth, following under your cheekbone sort of. Instead I just start drawing the line, then stop about a third of the way across my face and blend it to darken the little shadow right under my cheekbone on the side of my face.

4) I draw really dark along my jawline and under my chin, and blend it. It makes my weird double chin thing go away too which is a plus

5) I darken the sides of my nose to make it look a little more angular, and I darken my eye socket to make my eyes look a bit more... sunken? That sounds bad but it looks good.

6) I basically outline my entire face, like around my hairline and stuff. It's barely noticeable.

7) I'll do some gray or black eyeshadow or smudged eyeliner around my eyes, because I'm pretty emo and I like how it looks. Usually I'll use Urban Decay "mushroom" (shimmery gray color) because if you do it right it can be decently subtle and a bit goth-looking. In my album photo, though, I think I'm wearing really smudged black powder eyeliner.

So, anyway, my question is- what can I be doing better? I don't even need to look 100% like a guy- if I pass as androgynous, I'm happy. Also- primer- how necessary is it? What does it do and how does it help? (Should I go buy some, basically?)