1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did my mom find out I'm non-binary/Agender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Going Places, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Going Places

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm 18 and I was born male. I never really felt like a guy and I never really felt like a girl either. As far as I know, nobody knows that I identify as agender. The other day, I commented on something on Facebook. Someone replied "Yeah. You go girl!" My mom said "He's a boy." We went to dinner. My mom was talking about this at dinner. I said I really don't care what someone wants to refer to me as. My mom asked if I was a non-binary agender person. I got really nervous. I stuttered while trying to say "No." I quickly changed the subject. She didn't bring it back up. I think my mom might know that I'm agender. I'm not a very good liar so, I don't think I could hide it. Does she know? How do I know if she knows?

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The fact that she's asking tells me that she probably suspects you are. Did she ask nicely/curiously or did she sound aggressive and disapproving? If she asked nicely, that's a really good sign! It means that if/when you do come out to her, it probably won't be a surprise to her, and she'll probably be accepting. If she sounded disapproving, just keep denying it. Even if she suspects you're nonbinary/agender, she's unlikely to actively reject your gender ID if you continue to deny it.

3. Going Places

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's been a week and it hasn't been brought up since. She was saying it nicely and making a joke. I had a relative come out as transgender and she was referencing that. She was asking if I was the same way.

4. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Honestly, if she used the exact phrase "non binary/agender", she sounds like she could be a pretty progressive Mom. I'm not so certain most parents would use that phrase.

A less progressive person would probably just say: a person without a gender. Or people less progressive than that wouldn't even recognize that it exists.

#4 Snidi, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016