1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender dysphoria (?) / Agender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Anglerfish, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Anglerfish

Hello everybody,

I am going to tell you "my story" (sorry that it is so long) and I would be really happy if you could tell me whether you think that what I experience qualifies as gender dysphoria and if you think this might mean that I am agender.

Ok, I am biologically female and when I hit puberty I felt as though my vulva looked wrong. It was definitely in part a lack of education as I had never seen the variety female genitalia can have and so I thought my clitoris is too big and I genuinely thought I was abnormal. I thought this was caused by too much masturbation and I felt too embarassed to talk to anybody about it. So basically I felt extremely uncomfortable about my vulva.
    Now I am 22 and I have known for some time now that there is (of course) nothing physically wrong with me. But I still don't feel good about my vulva. It is not as bad as it was when I was in my early teens but even though I know everything is normal it still feels wrong.
    Now I am wondering whether this might be some kind of gender dysphoria or whether this bad feeling is just a leftover from when I thought my vulva was abnormal. Has anybody experienced something similar? So far I have only read about non binary people who have dysphoria about their breasts or their periods (I have no problem with those, but then again, my breasts aren't very big).

I am presenting as a female (although not girly) and I don't mind being perceived as a woman/girl. I hate shopping and I am just happy if I have something to wear, so my gender presentation is more routed in habit/laziness than trying to express my gender through my clothes or whatever. But I for exemple don't shave my legs and don't use make up. But the fact that I don't like to follow stupid gender norms doesn't automatically make me agender.
    I don't really identify as female but this could merely mean that gender is not a big part of my identity.
    I am just wondering whether my discomfort with my vulva could (partially) be because I am (maybe) agender. How I label my gender identity is not really important to me (because gender doesn't really play a role in how I see myself). But it would be interesting to know if there are agender people out there who have experienced something similar.

So do you think my insecurities about my vulva are only due to the lack of realistic pictures of vulvas I saw during sex-ed or might there be more to it like some form of agender gender dysphoria?

Thank you for reading this post and for honest replies :slight_smile:
    Have a great day!

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think if that's the only problem you have with yourself biologically, it's much more likely to just be an insecurity rather than dysphoria. As for not really identofying as a female, most cis people don't ID super-strongly with their gender and just kind of ignore it. As for not liking shopping and stuff, gender roles are seperate from gender. Plenty of girls don't like shopping, plenty of guys do.

If you're indifferent about your gender, you're probably cis.