1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender or just jealous of males?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by hotblue, Oct 31, 2016.

1. hotblue

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hellooo...

So I often feel like I'd be better off as a guy :bang:

I'd rather be in men's choir, I'd rather go to the men's restroom, I'd rather play a male part in a musical/play, I'd rather wear men's clothes, I'd rather have a flat chest, I'd rather be a gay couple than a lesbian/straight couple... but is that transgender? Or am I just jealous of guys for being able to do those things? How can you tell if you're transgender?

thanks,
    HotBlue

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tough question. Let me first address something: the desire to be a man does not make you transgender. Many cisgender women want to be men, and many cisgender men want to be women. It's how they identify which really matters, and it's an important distinction to make.

Although everyone is different, there are a few broad questions you can ask yourself. Do you want others to see you as a man, call you by masculine pronouns, and treat you like they would to a man? Does this sound like the life you want, or do you see it as an alternate life, in addition to the one you are living now? When you think about yourself, what gender do you associate with yourself? Would you be unhappy if you continued living your life as a woman? If so, is it because it doesn't feel right, or is it because you wish your life was somehow different?

And of course, the one everyone asks: do you feel like a man?

Most of the time, "feeling like _____" is impossible to describe and sometimes you may not even feel anything. You'll just know. Trust your instincts on this one. Experiment with pronouns online. Eventually the answer to reveal itself to you.

3. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Jealosy goes hand in hand with it. Look at the celebrity thread. Actually both genders have their pro's and con's so if you seriously think the other would suit you better, it's a sign.

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My take on it is that there are two separate things: who you are and how you express it. But the connection between the two is tricky.

Who you are and how you identify can manifest through things you want or like (or don't want or like), or through how you want to be perceived. The best way to tell is in my opinion find something that you do because it means something to you, e.g. you don't wear skirts because they are women's clothing,or want a tie because it would make you look like a guy, not because comfort, aesthetics and so forth. It's the reason behind that is important, what you want to say with it, not what others hear. Also, you might have similar likings to the rest of the group you identify with, because you're similar, right?

The second thing is expressing that. There is no right or wrong way to express you gender. You can express your womanhood through going to the military and you can express yourself as a man through being a drag queen. You can enjoy things, and it can have nothing to do with your identity. Also how you present your gender, in terms of pronouns, body, and so forth, is a thing separate from who you feel you are, and I'd just say present how it makes you happiest.