1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I cut my hair?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Smores, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Smores

Ok so right now I have hair that is a little shorter than shoulder length and I cut it myself. I have had shorter hair before but my aunt didn't like it so now she won't let me cut it much shorter than it is. I've asked her if she would let me get it short at a salon instead and she still probably wouldn't let me:dry: . I was thinking of asking again and if she says no, I might just cut it myself. Should I? Any suggestions?

2. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that how you wear your hair should be your choice. If you are not afraid of getting into a fight about it with your aunt and cutting your hair is important for you, go ahead and do it. After all, there is not much your aunt can do about it, after the hair is gone. As I don't know her, I have no idea how she will react but I guess that you are much more important to her than your hair is. So I guess she might accept it after all.

But before you go ahead, I think you could talk to your aunt again. Make sure she understands that this is something you've thought about and really want to do.

Besides, I would definetly advise you to go to a salon, as a short haircut is something you can't really do properly yourself (I know from experience :grin:)

3. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No idea how old you are are, but:

I basically see it as.. if you're old enough to drive yourself to the salon (and in particular if you are paying for the haircut yourself), It should be your choice as to how short you want to get it cut.

Like i am just me I'd advise going to a salon (depending on how short you're talking) .. plus they can give tips & know the tricks on how to make it look better.

4. Smores

I just talked to my aunt and she said I can't cut it. She even said an inch and a half on the sides is too short. She will not listen to me because she says that the cuts require too much matenance. She also said when I showed her,"I thought we weren't going back to boy cuts".

5. auggie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it depends on your age. I had long hair for 19 years because my parents forbid me to cut it shorter than shoulder length. Then, a few years ago, I decided that it was just hair and that if I didn't like it, it would grow back. So, in the winter, I cut all my hair off. I did it in the winter in an attempt to ease the blow with my parents, I told them that I decided that I wanted to try it and that if I didn't like it, I could wear a toboggan until it grew out and no one would have to really know about it. So, if you're underage, I might consider waiting just because while I understand how it can be a big deal for you (my hair was a really big deal for me) your aunt probably won't see it that way. But, you could also try to talk to her about it. Have a conversation with her about why you want to do it and remind her that it is just hair and it will grow.