1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you use gender neutral pronouns?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by matt4907, Nov 5, 2016.

1. matt4907

matt4907 Guest

If you use gender neutral pronouns, what has your experience been with getting people to use the correct pronouns? I've asked my friends to use they/them pronouns for me and it's been over a year but they still almost always use the wrong pronouns even though I remind them a lot. I'm not sure how to go about talking to them about it in a way that will actually work.

2. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My friends here in Japan all use he/him but my friends and family in Canada use they/them pronouns. Since I'm not there, and I'm not out to all my family, I don't really know how often they use them (guess I'll find out next year!). I know my sister tries though.

The only thing I can recommend for your friends is explaining (probably again) that these are your pronouns and that using the wrong ones is disrespectful. If they still are doing, it's time to get passive-agressive and start misgendering them! :/ Good luck mate!

3. Tardis221B

I use he or they pronouns, but its really a challenge to get people outside of the trans community to respect my identity as non-binary. For me its more important that I'm seen as a person and not a gender, but people are often confused because I use he or they pronouns, but only use gender non-specific descriptors. Even my progressive friends struggle to understand it.

I don't have an answer to the second part, other than reminding them, and trying to validate yourself despite what others say. Its not easy existing outside of the binary in a binary world.

#3 Tardis221B, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  4. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I prefer neutral pronouns. Feminine is good too. Masculine is okay, but I'd prefer not.

5. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At least two of my closest friends use they/them but I'm not sure about anybody else; I'm not out to my family.

6. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I don't prefer neutral pronouns but adding to the topic anyway: In German ( and I believe many other languages as well) there aren't any neutral pronouns that don't sound horribly fabricated. So I bet that getting even one single person to use them would be quite an act if not impossible.
    So the only options would be asking people to switch between he and she or use it. Both doesn't sound really appealing unless one is genderfluid and uses the first option.

7. AndyTheKoala

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would very much prefer they or he but getting people to use those pronouns have been a nightmare.