1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Somewhere between male and female

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by baristajedi, Nov 8, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm struggling to figure out where my gender falls. How do I know whether I may be genderqueer vs trans?

I feel so much discomfort with a lot of the biological and social aspects of being a woman. And I know that I feel strongly that parts of my body feel more right as male, and in many ways I feel I need to be seen more as a guy or more androgynously by others. But there are other things that I feel ok with in terms of being female, for example some things about my body, pronouns. And I don't know if I want testosterone or surgery...

I'm a bit confused about it at this point. I suppose some of this comes with actions. Take the steps I know I need to take and then see how I feel, and think about what other steps i need to take...

But I wish I could hear more from others who feel genderqueer or somewhere in the middle.

Any thoughts? Advice?

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is your dilemma whether to transition or not? Or more in terms of how to identify?

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More in terms of how to explore my gender I suppose, and for now helping me understand how to identify. I'm not even sure I'm ready to think about whether to transition or not but i think exploring and better understanding my identity will help me honk about that as well.

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2016 at 03:55 AM ----------

*think (not honk)

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can be extremely confusing then. I found that for me it was two separate questions of how to express myself and live with others, and how I feel on the inside. Similarily to you, I keep on asking whether I'm genderqueer or trans, and can't find a good anwser. Sometimes those questions don't have a good anwser . Or at least don't have an anwser that would seem plausible in terms that come from outside of me. I mean, it's other people who came up with those distinctions and terms, to describe their situations. And my situation is mine, and it's best described in categories I came up with to suit my situation.

I don't feel in the middle so I can't tell how that is. I definitely feel like a guy. But it's more like... it's not linked with anything at all. It's just the way I see myself. Hm. Because I relate better to men and therefore feel more belonging. But I see myself as a cisgender woman too, and it's all a good deal of philosophy , the"How I understand myself?" question. I think a good question to ask is "What if I was born the opposite sex?" And another " Am I doing xxx for fun of just doing it, or to feel relief?" And "Am I copying this behaviour, am I forcing myself, does it come naturally, right from my heart?"

5. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you sound a lot like myself last year. I don't have much advice to offer other than: take a deep breath and step back. Try to figure out what it means to be you before trying to find a word to describe it. As a friend of mine said "Try things; try pronouns, try names, try clothes, try makeup, I don't know. Try things that make you happy". Maybe try to rule out things you DON'T want before finding out what you DO want.