1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bathrooms

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by nightowl88, Nov 11, 2016.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so until I come out his doesn't directly impact me but at school a friend of mine has been struggling with the bathrooms. I go to a really small school that has kids pre-k through 12th grade all in one building and there is about 275 kids in our school. So with that we only have 2 bathrooms that aren't gender specific unlike my old school which had several. The only 2 we have are the teachers lounge and the nurses office. So for after school activities most of the teachers will let the teachers lounge be open for my friend to use since she can't get into the nurses office. Now here's the issue most teachers won't let her go to the bathroom during class because she has to go all the way to the nurses office in the elementary wing and it takes her out of class for too long. At the moment my friend has been talking to the principal about using the girls lockerroom and bathroom since most of the students surprisingly wouldn't mind it but I highly doubt the principal will agree to let her use it. So her next plan is to start a petition but I worry that it won't pass with the school board if she does. I was wondering if anyone had any advice to help her and Eventually me use the preferred bathroom. Most of the students actually wouldn't have a problem with it and the staff is fine with it out only problem is the administration.

2. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least until the Trump administration or the Supreme Court changes it, Title IX protects transgender student rights in school. That means that anything a cisgender female student is allowed to do, a transgender female student must also be allowed to do. Unless they are barring all the girls from using the gendered bathroom and locker rooms, she has the right to use them too.

My advice is for her to just start doing it rather than asking permission to assert her rights. If they punish her for it, get a lawyer and sue their asses.