1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Im full of self doubt and now I'm really scared help?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by icantpickaname, Nov 11, 2016.

1. icantpickaname

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi everyone:icon_bigg

I am supposed to transition at school in two weeks time but I'm full of self doubt I'm afraid I'm wrong what if I'm not trans? a bit of background is probably 7+ months ago I started questioning my gender, nothing triggered it I was just sitting in class and this thought just crept into my head "what if your transgender" It took my months and months for the thought to settle in I couldn't get rid of it for over 4 weeks it was horrid no matter what i did it was the only thing i could think for 4 weeks 24/7 I pushed it away and it would come right back, i had had the occasional thought of "what if i was a boy" and a frequent wish of "wish I was a boy" but it seemed stupid so I pushed it away and that was that. But during my questioning phase my dysphoria greatly increased I couldn't even touch my chest without feeling physically nauseous and i hated it and i was so sad and even when i started talking to my school councillor it was still there the questioning and self doubt and I couldn't get rid of it but in the last month or two it has faded and now i rarely think about my gender or at least nowhere as much as i used to but then I got the letter from my gender therapist that i needed to transition at school and I was happy but then later that night the fear and self doubt came and then I didn't want to transition anymore but deep down i still did then eventually it faded.

but now its back, i think the trigger was that I finally got my mum to tell dad and he seemed fine but now that I'm at his house (they are divorced) he isn't bringing it up and he seems a bit like he wants to say something but he wont and im too awkward to do it but i need him to sign a letter for the school saying they support my decision to transition and i need it quick as I'm ment to transition in 2 WEEKS and im full of self doubt because i haven't been thinking about it lately and i haven't had any or iv had minimal dysphoria and im scared it means I'm wrong and I don't know what to do:bang::help::tears:

any help or advice?:help:

2. SystemGlitch

If your doubt is really that strong then I don't think you should be transitioning yet. Transitioning is a long process and people can expect some self-doubt, but it sounds like you are still very deep into trying to accept and understand yourself. Seven months is a short time between beginning to question and beginning transition, it can take a long time to become comfortable with yourself or fully decide if you want to transition or not, and it's not a good idea to start transitioning until you are sure (with reasonable doubt) that you want to transition.

Are you choosing to transition right now? Or is this something you're being told to do? From what you've said it sounds like your therapist has said "now you need to transition" without you having any say. If that's the case, counter them on that - transitioning is a personal process, it should be done at your pace, and it isn't something that should drive you into a panic of this proportion. Transitioning should be something positive, even if it is anxiety-inducing, so don't let someone push you into it before you are ready. Even if you have chosen to do this, maybe the short time frame is what is causing panic. An alternative could be to tell you gender therapist that you want to wait a couple of months to prepare yourself for it.

Good luck and best wishes.

3. icantpickaname

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I want to transition at school it was my idea in the first place and thats why I went to the gender Therapist because my school required a letter from a professional. But the self doubt comes and goes its been much better lately but its just flared up, im not sure if its gone because I am more comfortable with myself or if it went because iv been so busy and stressed lately about school and assignments and exams Iv had other things on my mind even though I have the doubts i still want to use a different name and wear the guys uniform and be a guy physically and be seen as one but I'm just having a hard time dealing with the self doubt.