1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transitioning on minimum wage?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Zoe Izumi, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :icon_sad:Is it possible to transition on minimum wage? I currently feel trapped in a job where I can only ever make minimum wage(8.50 or so in Michigan currently before taxes) I have tried to switch to another position in the same company because of Trans-friendly policies(Kroger) but was told no because we have too few Courtesy Clerks(Glorified name for Bagger&Janitor in one)

is there a way I can start transition in this position with an average of 26-28 hours a week?

current expenses are around 160 a month but will be going up once I get a new phone.(i live at home and know i can't afford to move out)

2. KayJay

I'm not exactly sure how much you get per month on average but I live off $1100 each month, about half to rent and the other half for groceries and necessities. I have been transitioning with that money for about 3 years so it's definitely possible to do if you manage your money well and stuff. You can do it! <3

3. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd be getting on the high end, 925 a month before taxes(including income tax) i don't know how much after taxes.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have insurance? If you do, that could help a lot too if you don't have a lot of money.

5. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The way I'm doing it through informed consent at Planned Parenthood it is very cheap. Insurance should cover blood work and clinic visits, and hormones are pretty cheap if you have the goodrx app.

6. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really want to go the informed consent route partly because of other depression issues, and party fear of what might happen in the next few years.

---------- Post added 12th Nov 2016 at 11:47 PM ----------

I do, but it says it doesn't cover "sex transformation" but idk if it means specifically the surgery or the whole transition. I was forced onto this insurance because it was the only one my current doctor accepted.