1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting diagnosed and starting HRT

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by love dont judge, Nov 13, 2016.

1. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys. So I have a question and Google can't seem to make up its mind so I thought I'd try here. Tomorrow, after school, my dad set up am appointment with a general practitioner for some vaccines I need and depression screening. I'm just wondering if the gp can actually diagnose me with gender dysphoria (I know that's it's poorly worded but I can't figure out how else to word it.) And if it is, can the gp refer me to an endocrinologist as well? Granted, it won't be for awhile yet as my mother is not processing as much as I'd like, but maybe if it's confirmed that the best thing for my health is to transition maybe she might be more understanding? I just wonder cause I'm noticing more changes physically lately. I know that I can still pass well (I have some more photos I'm going to upload to my album here soon if anyone's interested in offering advice) but I just worry with all of these new physical changes how it'll affect my mental health, which has been declining steadily until it became a necessity to seek outside help. Thanks guys!

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw you spell humour the right way in your bio so I'm going to assume you're British in which case I can give you advice haha. If you're australian or live somewhere other than England (Wales and Scotland are slightly different) then this will be pointless so sorry.

Your GP 99% of the time will have no idea what gender dysphoria even is so no they won't be able to diagnose you. What they can do is refer you to a gender identity clinic. Because you're under 18 you'd be referred to The Tavistock clinic in London (there's also one up north I think but I've forgotten what it's called). At the tavi you'll be able to talk everything through with psychs and they'll decide whether to put you on blockers. This is a mandatory step for under 18s, blockers for a year and then they make a decision on whether or not to start HRT. It's a long process so it'd definitely be worth talking to your GP asap if you're wanting to get on hormones because the waiting list is also months long just to get a first appointment with the clinic.

3. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much for your time to reply, but I'm afraid it was for naught. I'm actually American, which I should've specified. I just have a few British friends who have rubbed off on me a bit so my spelling and speech is very mixed American/british. Lol. Thank you though. I'm sure some of it has some parallels.

4. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I have heard, it's likely you'll have to see a therapist of some sort so they can "verify" your gender dysphoria. In may states, you have to see the therapist for a while. After that, though, you should be able to get your GP to refer you to an endo, I believe. (I'm still in the "therapist" portion of this process, so I'm basing my answer off of what others have told me.) I mean, what harm is there in asking your GP about it? Like, "Hey, I'm transgender, I need to see an endocrinologist so I can start transitioning, help?"

5. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha damn. Nah it's practically all null and void. I do know that whilst getting on T in the US is a lot more expensive it's a lot quicker and under 18s are able to start straight on T rather than go through blockers first. Good luck with everything though