1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronouns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Wolfsan, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Wolfsan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Are there any "gender-neutral" pronouns that aren't plural? I kind of want to find one for myself, but I don't want They/Them. Not because "it's not gramatically correct" but just because it doesn't work for me. I'll feel like a group of people if someone calls me that? No hate on people who do want that pronouns though, I just don't want it myself. So are there any others?

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Wolfsan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks ^^

4. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Regarding Hawk's reply, I would advise against "it". From what I'm aware of, most NB people view "it" pronouns as rather demeaning. Though if this is for yourself and if you're comfortable with it then go ahead, in the end it's your choice.

5. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    actually, in elementary school English it is taught that "they/them" are also singular pronouns, not just plural. so it actually is still gramatically correct to use they/them/their in reference to a single person.

6. Wolfsan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I didn't grow up English so I don't know much about it, sorry if I offended anyone. I'm just not comfortable with it myself.

I'm thinking of using Zie/Hir but I don't want to make it too hard for people. Idk, I feel like if I make it too hard, I won't make friends (outside of this forum).??? Does anyone have experience with using these kind of uncommon pronouns, and did you get a lot of hate/people saying that's not real/"you're just trying to be special"/or lots of questions??? I don't want to make people uncomfortable because I want some sort of "/weird pronouns/". But then again I want to be comfortable with my own pronouns.

7. Irisviel

I'd stick to they if I had to because that's a real word, others are artficially produced and used only by very select groups of people. Language is about efficient communicstion, and it's far more effficient to choose already existing meanings and tweak them rather than imposing a new vocabulary arbitrarily. Evolution is what changes language.

8. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're going to have a hard enough time getting people to use they/them, let alone any pronouns no one has ever heard of. I'd stick with they/them for now.

9. Wolfsan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok, I will stick with they/them for now. Thx for replying