1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help discovering my gender identity.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Going Places, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Going Places

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm 18 and I was born a male. I don't really mind being male but, I feel as if I don't really feel like I fit in with that. I don't want to alter my body in any way. I want a gender neutral hairstyle (still trying to find one I like). I act and do things my way. Some are feminine and some masculine. I'm not really feminine or masculine. I also want some new clothing styles. When I was younger and even now, I wear girl pajamas. I usually wear jeans and a T-shirt but, I want something new. I want to wear skirts, dresses,and makeup. Some days, I feel like a guy and others a girl. Most of the time I feel like neither. I'm not afraid to dress like this. I actually think a dress is a cute look on me. I'm afraid someone will hurt me or post pictures online for being like this. Other days, I feel like a guy and act like it. I'm just having trouble figuring this out.

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can be a guy and have a gender neutral hairstyle or wear girls clothes. You don't have to always "feel" like a guy either, that's hard to define and usually is based in gender roles. You're probably not trans if you don't mind being male.

3. Going Places

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I want to look like and act like a blend of both. What would this be called?

4. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could be non binary; the first thing that jumped to mind was genderfluid, but as baconpox said gender and expression aren't the same. You can dress Amy way you want regardless of gender. However that being said, if I were you I would look at nonbinary genders and see how you feel.

5. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope what Baconpox meant was that you probably wouldn't be binary trans, such as a fully trans woman. You could be genderfluid, or bigender though, or like Lacybi said some kind of nonbinary gender. No matter how you want to dress though, its important to differentiate between wanting to be treated like a woman/man, and just wanting to look masculine or feminine. If on days where you'd like to look more feminine you feel uncomfortable with your body or uncomfortable being addressed as a man, then you could be trans/nonbinary, but its okay to also feel comfortable being a male/man on days where you feel like one, that doesn't invalidate your identity even you discover that you are not entirely a man. As for "wanting to look and act like a blend of both" the first label that pops up in mind for that would be Androgyne, or bigender.

6. Going Places

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Basically, I want to look like a girl and a guy at the same time. I want to wear skirts and dresses but also wear my current outfits too.

7. KingofScrubs

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel you, I had the same problem my entire life. I can relate to you completely. I have always desired the power to change my gender as will. Honestly I have taking some estrogen pills so I can feel more like a woman and still present myself as male

8. Going Places

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't want to totally change gender. I just want to act like both and change fashion.

9. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Isn't that called being Androgynous?

10. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, to know if this is related to your gender or your presentation, you have to know how you relate to other people, or want to be seen physically or socially. What I mean is, do you feel disconnected from men at all? Feel like you belong with women in some aspects? If so, then you might not be a man. But, if you just wish to dress androgynously but still be a man, then that would just mean you have an androgynous style. Being androgynous isn't really a gender identity though- Androgyne is a gender identity that is similar to androgyny, as it is a blend between man and woman essentially, however just because you want to have an androgynous style doesn't necessarily mean you are/aren't a man, woman, or trans, etc.

11. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's called being a cis male that has a mix of masculine and feminine interests.

Look, I'm a cis woman but I don't dress femininely except for maybe a pink t-shirt. I don't wear dresses, skirts, or make-up. Am I not a woman? No. I am a woman that just happens to dress like a guy sometimes.

What makes ME cis is the fact that I like and use female pronouns, that I like my female body and would feel dysphoric if I went through HRT. The fact that I am more masculine than feminine has nothing to do with my gender, It's just my interests.

You are not a binary trans woman in any way. Whether you are genderfluid/non-binary is iffy, but it depends whether or not you feel some social/physical/mental dysphoria or disconnect. If you love being male in every way except for wanting to wear dresses or skirts, that's called being a part time crossdresser.

12. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You sound a lot like me, except I was born female. Sometimes I like skirts and want to look feminine and girly, and sometimes I wear jeans and button downs and want to look like a guy. But that doesn't mean I'm not a guy. I want to be one physically, even if I don't fit the stereotypes. It sounds like you're the same. I call myself an androgynous trans man, meaning that my gender expression is primarily androgynous (or varies between masculine and feminine) but my gender is male. If you feel the same way that I do, that would make you an androgynous cis man.