1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get rid of gendered body language

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anthracite, Nov 20, 2016.

1. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I think this makes a ridiculously huge difference at passing. But, how can we get rid of the habits and replace them with new ones?

I've always walked a little masculine but I feel it's too feminine so something in between. While sitting I can't get rid of that nasty habit of crossing my legs all the time.

Do how do you change these? Any advice welcome, I think boys and girls will use similar techniques to changing habits. Do you have trouble with it too?

2. Cinis

Cinis Guest

1. Some boys actually sit like that too ( although most tend to cross their legs in a different way than girls ) or generally in a more "girly" way without anyone noticing.

2. From my experience the best way of changing this is to consciously change to a masculine position once you notice what you're doing. With time the masculine body language comes naturally since you got used to it.

3. It could also help to copy the body language of the guys around you. A lot of cis-guys actually do that too albeit unconsciously. So if you're in a larger group no one will notice.

4. Don't force yourself. As I said not all guys actually sit that way. If it makes you feel uncomfortable then it's nothing you have to do.

5. It actually doesn't make that big of a difference when passing to others but it sure as hell can boost your self confidence. ( so if people still misgender you it's not necessarily due to body language but due to them ignoring said body language)

3. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As for crossing legs most guys that I've noticed will sit with their ankle on top of their knee so it makes a triangle shape in between their legs and I've started doing that. I found it easier to try and gradually change how I cross my legs rather than completely stop.

4. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I do sit that manly legs-crossed way sometimes and it's quite comfortable. Otherwise I sit a bit like L from Death Note. It's a good idea to just change position when I notice, thank you.

Walking is a bit more difficult. Hard to get into a habit when I can't have any feedback from myself.

5. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try walking without swinging your arms. Notice how your hips sway less and, you keep the small of your back more in line and don't twist it at all? Also drop your bum a bit, tuck it just a fraction so that you have slightly less dip at the small of your back.

That's just practice to get a feel for where your back and hips need to go to walk like a man.

Sitting, it's good to put your ankle on the opposite knee or, both feet on the floor, shoulder width or a bit wider apart and lean forward a bit or, even rest one elbow on one knee. Also imagine you just rushed a single serve bag of crisps (chips) up and dumped them in your underwear and, do not want them poking you or, getting damp and soggy but, no one but you is to know those crisps are in there. I know sounds like a silly visualization but, as a drag king, I know that works to keep the legs sufficiently parted as to appear male. As long as you remember the crisps, you won't close the legs too much :slight_smile:

6. Cinis

Cinis Guest

If it helps you could also imagine having a dick there. I heard that it helped some people.*shrug*