1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expressing identity in public

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Spidey, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Spidey

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not out to anyone. I'm afraid of coming out to anyone. I would like to start wearing a binder in public and maybe men's clothes. But the fear overwhelmed me so bad that I shake sometimes. How can I express myself but in a subtle way?

2. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Wearing men's clothes should be fine since it's not that unusual nowadays.
    Wearing a binder in public shouldn't be a problem either the only problem I see is that if you're still living with your parents and aren't put to them a binder would cause them to become suspicious. If you're wearing it in public most people won't notice/care though so technically both should be doable without having to fear anything.

---------- Post added 21st Nov 2016 at 05:28 PM ----------

* out not put

3. BenFreeman

Ok so I just started wearing my binder to work...I am getting stares and what i perceive to be a harsh evaluation from some people who arent used to my new silhouette...and what I perceive to be embarrassment and an avoidance by the eyes of my chest by people who are my friends....
    I cant be bothered to explain myself; I cant live without doing this anymore....the reaction is subtle but awkward...but I can say that 90% of the time I don't care because I feel SO much better inside.
    Its a personal thing i suppose..the fact is that there will always be some people who will make you uncomfortable...but you have to decide whether its worth your mental discomfort to go unbound: weigh the balance...i won't lie to you: I sometimes get scared on public transport if i find an unsavoury character staring....but I just cant be otherwise anymore.

blessings

4. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To be honest with you, if you're not out to anyone currently and don't try to notably alter your appearance, I mean no offense but they probably won't notice at all. Many cisgender people who have no knowledge of trans identities do not pick up on subtle gender markers about individuals like a trans person might, or someone who is more conscious of gender roles and stuff. What I mean is, if you still "look like a girl" (mostly facially, or voice, or height) to them, they will most likely assume you are one, and just assume you're wearing a sports bra or are small-chested.