1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nervous about going home for thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by darkcomesoon, Nov 21, 2016.

1. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm leaving school tomorrow for thanksgiving break, and I'm going to see a bunch of my relatives for the first time since coming out publicly as trans. They're really accepting of it (they've been referring to me as Jesse and using he/him pronouns in the Thanksgiving email chain), but I don't think they're particularly knowledgable about transness, so I suspect this Thanksgiving will be filled with mildly uncomfortable (but well-intentioned) questions about my gender and about trans people in general. Plus, it always makes me really uncomfortable to have a lot of focus on me and the fact that I'm trans, but I know it's unavoidable.

How do y'all handle awkward conversations with curious family members? How do you deal with it when everyone is so focused on the fact that you're trans?

2. Cooper18

Cooper18 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, a lot of people when dealing with coming out stuff get books and give it to their relatives...

i highly recommend this tactic of providing educational materials - so they can answer a bunch of their questions, without pestering you :slight_smile:

Take care!! :slight_smile: