1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real name or birth name for new hairdresser?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anthracite, Nov 23, 2016.

1. anthracite

anthracite Guest

So I wondered. I will change my hairdresser, as my old one is doing a shitty job at making me look masculine and I can't be as open about the style I wish as I like to be. So I'm pre-everything, but apperently I sound and look like a teenage boy, at least people wonder what I am a lot. So I could just say, I'm 15 and make it more realistic.

I'd like to avoid to get into the same situation again but also I would probably endanger my future stealth status.

Did anyone do it and got away with it? I know it sounds like commiting a crime but I'm very paranoid about being stealth in the future, so I indeed feel like I had to hide a body.

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you are comfortable with it, I would use your masculine name. That way they are less likely to automatically assume you are just a tomboy and will be more likely to help you achieve a masculine look. I'm actually experiencing a similar conundrum because I am on file at both major discounting haircutting chains that exist where I live under my female name, and I have had much trouble in the past with them always trying to push more feminine hairstyles on me and I was too awkward to speak up for myself. Highly annoying since I present very masculine and wear exclusively men's clothes, and they still try to give me a pixie cut.

How I've finally solved this problem is by cutting my own hair the way I want it (but not as good as a hairdresser would do it) with very square, masculine edges and just telling the hairdresser to clean up what I already have. An easier way to do this would probably be to speak up for yourself though lol.

#2 Rickystarr, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I regret telling my barber my birth name. Now I'm stealth in most aspects of my life but have to use my old name at the barbers. I'd say use your preferred name as you'll only end up regretting not using it in a couple months.

4. anthracite

anthracite Guest

@Aberrance: How can you know that you will regret the name? I've had a few changes, but now I'm fully convinced that I want this one.