1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home vs school

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by nightowl88, Nov 24, 2016.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am working on coming out at school in January and am really excited but I've been debating really expressing male at home. School is easy enough I talk to someone who will notify teachers and then I can tell my class who will then tell their friends and it will spread through the school by the end of the day like all the other gossip. Now at home is different my mom is struggling with even the concept of her only daughter being a boy and my dad is just overall confused. I think it will be easier to come out at school and then later start transitioning at home. I was wondering if this is weird and just how you went about doing this and changing names and pronouns with your family.

2. gayftm

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out at home first, but no one was really ok with it until I was out at school. So I was Jay and he at school and [birth name] and she at home. I don't think this sort of thing is weird at all.
    I stopped responding to my family when they used the wrong name until they got the hint and used the right one. At I loudly interrupted conversations that referred to me as "she".

3. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah my brothers will pick up a new name and pronouns for me at school which will be easier for my mom to hear it from my brothers and I have a nickname that I love that works with my birth name too so I was thinking of using that at home a lot.