1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More name thoughts...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by baristajedi, Nov 25, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm still considering the name Sam (I posted earlier about that name), I love that name... but I want a name that feels more like mine, but sounds gender neutral.

My first and middle names don't have a male nickname, but I tried to use sounds from my first or middle name and came up with some ideas.

I wonder if these names all sound kind of lame? But they all feel closer to "me" becaus they have a feeling closer to my given name.

Thoughts on these?

Stevie
    Sasha
    Zan
    Sloan
    Sullivan/Sully

Do these names sound gender neutral? Which names do you like, if any?

Or should I stick with Sam? :slight_smile: I love the name Sam, quite a lot but I suppose it just doesn't feel quite like it's mine....

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why does the name Sam feel wrong for you? Just curious.

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I guess the issue is that I actually really like my given name, quite a lot, and I'm quite attached to it, but it's so feminine, and I really wish that it wasn't, or that's there was a gender neutral version of it.

So Sam is one of my favourite names, but it doesn't feel like "mine", if that makes any more sense?

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might take some getting used to, which is what usually happens when transgender people pick a new name. The other names are fine too, though (I like Stevie).

5. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get it. It's not that I don't like my given name either, but I do wish mine also had a masculine/neutral name or nickname also.

As Creativemind said, it may take some getting used to. I actually chose the name Kade (Kaden) a few years ago, but 1) Kaden was quite popular, and 2) I wasn't sure if it was "it". It's ok to go through a few names, I've gone through a bunch of names only to end up back at one of the first ones I chose.
    Maybe have a close friend or two "experiment" with a name you like, and see what you think.

6. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm having to go with a name that is almost completely unlike my birth name because there are no nicknames to it at all, let alone masculine/neutral nicknames. If you don't think your chosen name quite, it may simply be because that one in particular is not right for you. Take a look around at other names, give a few of them a try; you will find something that suits you, given time.

Out of the names in your list, the most neutral one to me is Zan, followed by Stevie. But I think Sam is the most neutral and least conspicuous.

7. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I like Sasha too.

8. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think Sam is the best still. Or Stevie.

It takes some time to develop an attachment/feeling to a new name. Remember, you've used your given name for 35+ years, so that's a hard habit to break. You'll settle in, and wonder how you ever went by your birth name in the first place. It's been three weeks, and I'm only now starting to feel this connection to "Brooke." I used "Savannah" a while before that, but I never truly got attached to that one, it was always just okay.

I've noticed the same with pronouns. I've been going by "he" and "him" for about 30 years. Even though I HATE it, and being referred to as male makes me sick at times, and female makes me feel good, it's hard to break that 30 year habit. I'm still peeling away at that layer of acceptance I was wrapped in.

9. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like Stevie and Sasha.

10. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    something i did was kind of get myself in a light meditative state, (calm, open, questioning) and try a few different names after i discovered that my name is Sarah. but i kept coming back to Sarah. that's how i confirmed my name (always open to change however) maybe you could try the same or similar?

11. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses.

I'm realising that what a few of you have said is true, it will take some time to get used to using a new name. I tried imagining introducing myself by some of the names, and let the names sit in my head for a bit. I felt warm and a little nervous at the name Sam after doing that a bit. I think it evokes something good... I may end up using Sam.

At this point I feel like Sam, Stevie, maybe Sasha or Zan feel right. Maybe Shane? That one occurred to me a bit later.

12. randomconnorcon

Sam and Shane would be my choices if it was me. Try the list; even when a name takes a while to get used to, when it's right you feel it. That's why I went back to Sam - not because it was the shortened version of my birth name and I was used to it, but because it felt right. I got that warm feeling you mentioned.

13. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I will try out the name Sam a bit. And the other names as well. I'm really nervous to do it, but I think I'll try a few names at places like Starbucks and when it feels right, maybe at some of the LGBT meetups...

By the way I really like your middle name Theo as well.

14. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you still don't feel that the name is right, there's a great website called nameberry. Go to namehunter and type in Sam for it to show names similar to that- or just search through the extensive list using the helpful search option.

15. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think Sam is a great name Jedi! I actually quite like unisex/neutral names. It's really a shame Brooke is so strongly associated with girls, a lot of people don't realize it's actually a unisex name.

Kinda like Shawn. Really uncommon as a girls name, but it is technically unisex. You should give it a try.

16. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think Sam is a great name Jedi! I actually quite like unisex/neutral names. It's really a shame Brooke is so strongly associated with girls, a lot of people don't realize it's actually a unisex name.

Kinda like Shawn. Really uncommon as a girls name, but it is technically unisex. You should give it a try.

17. Spidey

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sasha sounds girlie to me. So does Sloan and. Stevie. Ferris Bueller's girlfriend was named Sloan and when I hear Stevie I think Stevie Nicks.

18. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stevie Wonder? Sloan I still think of more as surname than a first name, though Dr. Sloan had a daughter named Sloan in Grey's Anatomy.:lol: