1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it possible not to have dysphoria until later?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Airisofparis, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Airisofparis

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i am afab and i have always been happy as a girl until about 6 months ago i was starting to get gender dysphoria and question my gender. is that possible? to realise then that i was possibly not a girl until then (i was twelve, beginning of puberty) :help:

2. Irisviel

not sure if that means you are around 13 now, but most trans people begin to notice being different around puberty, at least that's how most online stories go, contrary to what you might hear in the popular narrative.

3. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Peoples brains change and develop constantly throughout life... I think it's normal for trans people to develop dysphoria around puberty. Personally, I didn't even realize I had dysphoria or begin to notice major signs of it until I was 19 and almost done with puberty.

4. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How would explain me being 29 and only noticing this year?

5. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah in reality, 13 is actually really young to know. The media likes to make it look like all trans people have known since they were practically infants and they came out of the womb insisting on wearing blue and playing with trucks. I think it's portrayed this way so it seems more legitimate to cis people. But it's actually common to have no idea until well after puberty or even in your twenties, thirties, or even later, though most people do show small signs before then.

#5 Rickystarr, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  6. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Somewhat off topic, I think this "trope" about the trans narrative actually creates an interesting reaction from the mainstream in the sense that it makes cis people treat trans people as though they HAVE to be completely, 100% self-aware all of their lives in order for their dysphoria/identity to be "legitimate". There's a lot of pressure on trans people when they come out to be so sure of themselves that changing your label, names, pronouns, etc. gradually will make others think you're "flip-floppy" or not someone who can be trusted or taken seriously. So please don't feel like you should be unsure because of this! Self-awareness is a journey.

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The cis trans narrative does happen to a lot of trans people though, there are those that have known since they were small wee babies.
    But it almost just as common (if not more so) for trans people to start figuring it out at the start of puberty, or after puberty.

I mean I started feeling iffy at 12 when I had my first period, 13 when my boobs became to hard to hide under a hoody, 14-16 was a nightmare but I was told by some other trans people that I couldn't be trans because I was 1) attracted to men and 2) I didn't know my whole life.
    Eventually I repressed a lot of what I was feeling. And it wasn't in till my twenties that I realized that I was more than likely trans.

So it is definitely possible to nit know till you are 13 or older. It actually seems fairly common. It is also normal tonhave doubts and to still not be 100% sure even as one is starting transitioning.

8. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This thread made me feel better. I thought I was weird, being older and figuring it out(though I guess I'm still young). Even though I wasn't devoid of signs earlier, 29 just seemed like a late age to not know your gender.

9. Yasha of XMETAS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't fully aware I was a guy until last year in September, when it litteraly dawned on me that I was a man. I went to a psychiatrist last Friday for this after living about a year and a half as male, and she does believe I am trans as well. I also have Aspergers, so that also might have explained my slow self-realization and acceptance of what I was. It's not because its another thing for me to focus in on because of my condition, like my sister believed and made me belive for a long while now.
    Although I had small signs here and there, I wasn't experiencing real huge dysporia until, like I said until last September. So yes, it's possible to experience gender dysporia until much later in life, and that does not make your feelings any less legitimate no matter what anyone says. :slight_smile:

10. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Different strokes for different folks. I experienced dysphoria in the sense that I ignored having chesticles when I looked in the mirror. Nowadays they drive me crazy and I'm 28.

11. h4zey

h4zey Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    i might've had dysphoria when i was a kid but not sure... i didn't rlly get it until i hit 14/15 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and then it grew to the point where i can't wear female clothing at all cuz i feel disgusting and wrong in it

12. StormyVale

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Brooke Victoria,

I am also in my 20s and just noticed this year too... it is strange how everyone notices at a different age.

13. iiimee

Wow, edit: I thought I had been on this site longer. >_< Funny how my brain messes with me- I am constantly rereading stuff to make sure I didn't "accidentally lie" as one might call it... I joined this site 2-3 years after dysphoria began to hit... Anyway, yeah, I was young, but most people I meet only come out MUCH later in life. I get a lot of criticism since I plan to start hormones while I am still technically a teenager, but I figure that I have dealt with this horrible antagonistic dysphoria for long enough to say that it's time. I sort of which I started earlier tbh, but at least I'm getting hormones soon now.

14. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please, just Brooke. I feel like I'm being scolded. lol

It is strange. I'm fully aware that I'm not the only trans person to realize at my age, or even older. It's just funny when I hear about transgender teenagers, and I'm like "I was completely oblivious to everything at your age." lol

15. StormyVale

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same. I feel like I didn't have much together at that point or knew myself that well.

16. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's how I feel too. I didn't know myself well enough to know, and now I do.